Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice needed: Is it worth to swap my 500sp 5BB by a 55BB?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Advice needed: Is it worth to swap my 500sp 5BB by a 55BB? Reply with quote

I have the opportunity of swapping my Tammy 500mm SP 5BB by the newer model 55BB.

Would it be worth in terms of optical quality,?. Or would the improvement be marginal?.

I value positively the tripod mount on the 5BB that the newer one don't has, but I would sacrify it if I can improve on image quality... in a noticeable amount.

Any comment will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 55BB, and use it as often as possible. I don't have the other so I can't compair for you. The 55BB has positive surprise moments: Very sharp in close to medium distance. I like 1.5m as MFD.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
I have the 55BB, and use it as often as possible. I don't have the other so I can't compair for you. The 55BB has positive surprise moments: Very sharp in close to medium distance. I like 1.5m as MFD.

Thanks for your answer!.
That's consistent with what I've read: the old version is sharper in long distances, and the new one is better in the short ones, it was corrected to improve the circular aberrations in the short range of distances, but I wanted to know how much improvement has one over the other.
By now I'm thinking on keeping the old one, since I use it for long distances.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
That's consistent with what I've read: the old version is sharper in long distances, and the new one is better in the short ones,

have them both Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
Jesito wrote:
That's consistent with what I've read: the old version is sharper in long distances, and the new one is better in the short ones,

have them both Smile

I'd like to Smile

But unfortunately this is a swap only opportunity. A friend of mine has sold his 55BB but the buyer doesn't care if it is the 55B or the 55BB, so he asked me if I would like to swap mine... So I have the opportunity of keeping mine or swapping it by the 55BB, but not to keep both Sad

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to take a decission because the buyer went to pick the lens, so finally I will keep the 55B because the tripod mount mainly.
Thanks to everybody that answered!.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
Jesito wrote:

have them both Smile

so, do you agree the statement that one is better than the other for long distance with yours sample ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
WolverineX wrote:
Jesito wrote:

have them both Smile

so, do you agree the statement that one is better than the other for long distance with yours sample ?

If I have to be honest, I couldn't appreciate any differences on far shots (no one better), and since I'm not going to use it for closeups, I valued the tripod mount overall.

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both briefly...I found no difference other than the no tripod mount on the newer 55BB. I find that I prefer the images from the close to mid distance than its infinity distance.Jes if you can get a 2nd one at a good price do it... Laughing That was my LBA speaking!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I had both briefly...I found no difference other than the no tripod mount on the newer 55BB. I find that I prefer the images from the close to mid distance than its infinity distance.Jes if you can get a 2nd one at a good price do it... Laughing That was my LBA speaking!

Thanks a lot for your answer, Mo!
I barely use long lenses, and the 500SP is not an exception...
Having more than one would be a real waste Wink
But I'll be using this one now that I've taken it out of the drawer and bothered the colleagues asking for info Smile
One of my long term projects is to (photographically) catch a squirrel with it. From time to time squirrels visit us but I've never been able of snapping a decent shot.
I'm afraid they are too fast for me... and come not often enough,

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any wildlife shot it's patience that counts...and about a 100 photos that don't matter,to achieve that perfect image... Very Happy