Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Slackness on push-pull zooms
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Slackness on push-pull zooms Reply with quote

I now have a Nikkor 'one handed' zoom (twist to focus, pull in to zoom) and it doesn't so much have zoom creep as zoom free-fall Smile if the lens is pointed downwards. Its usable for roughly horizontal shots and completely unusable for camera-pointing-down macro work.

What provides the resistance normally and how much of a job is it to improve this on an older lens?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a mix of quality of the build + characteristics of the grease.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contax 35-70 that I bought was surely used (I can tell from paint loss on the rim of the barrel), but absolutely has no creep.
The 28-85 Yashica that I bought last month looks used the same way, but it's a bit creepy.
So I think it boils down to build quality. And it's part of the price difference between a lens like a Contax and one like a Yashica.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Longer (100+mm) push/pull Nikon/Nikkors are famous for this problem. I hate to say it, but this is currently why I don't own any of them...

So, which lens is it that you have?

Sorry, should have said. (Its in my signature, but that will change over time)

Zoom-Nikkor 80-200 f/4.5 AiS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really infamous one is the 70-150 E Series.

The only solution I've come across is to pull back then affix a line of tape along the barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really infamous one is the 70-150 E Series.

The only solution I've come across is to pull back then affix a line of tape along the barrel.