Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smc Takumar 24mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Smc Takumar 24mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Got this beauty few days ago. Size is small enough to carry around.
How about other 24mm lenses?

I also have Pentax K24/2.8 and Ensinor24/2.8 close focus. The Ensinor is my fav in this focal due to CF ability.

Sample images follows.

Wide open:

f8:

f8:

f8, with slightly increase black level and sharpen - just to check what this lens is capable of:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't tried the Tak, but agree that the Ensinor lens is sharp (and contrasty) but I prefer the Sigma 24mm superwide II.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tak24 is highly rated, except for aberrations -- corner CA. Good luck with it! Meanwhile, I'm still searching for another Lentar-Tokina 25/3.5. My two both had good optics wide-open but jammed apertures -- they wouldn't stop down. Yet another quest...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been very very impressed with my Super Takumar 3.5/24mm. The 24s are certainly not the most common of the Tak line and the S-M-C version is down-right hard to get. Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll like the Super Tak 24mm f3.5, Andreas/ Kuan has provided many superb pictures to this forum with his copy.
I'll be taking mine out today.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Hoan. I think you will like the lens, though I don't think that it has anything over the Pentax K 2.8/24.

xjjohnno wrote:
I think you'll like the Super Tak 24mm f3.5, Andreas/ Kuan has provided many superb pictures to this forum with his copy.
I'll be taking mine out today.

thank you xjjohnno for mentioning, right now there are 221 photos taken with my Super Tak 3.5/24 in this set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157622863853738/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! If a maker makes 24mm lens , that is usually good, this is my experience. Even from Sigma Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
I was unsure the performance of the lens, but want to give it a try. Except for CA at the edges, the lens is sharp at the center. The results were not bad at all. I am not so hook up with resolution and pixels. The lens feels very nice to use.

Andreas, After I closed the deal for this lens, I was looking at your photos taken with this lens, and was comfortable. Along with the lot, there is a smc tak 300/4, a sms tak 55/1.8 and the kenko fisheye conversion lens that I posted in another thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a great deal Hoan!

recently I rested my 24mm lenses for sharpness on APS-C sensor, NEX5N
Corners of the 24mm Takumar, as well as the Pentax K are not great, though my Vivitar f2 fairs much worse. Corners of Nikkor-N.C are similar or tad weaker, also of Tamron Adaptall, those of MC W-Rokkor f2.8 about equal, OM Auto-W f2.8 corners are decidedly (!) better, but mine is not the MC, has washed out colors, weak contrast and flares easily when light is coming from the front. Center sharpness is not much different between all. I like the 'presence' the Tak and K lens produce, I don't know how to describe it better, it may be due to microcontrast, accutance (?) and I like their 'natural' colors. The Nikkor renders fascinating colors but has strong distortion and is big and heavy, the Rokkor renders very similarly to my Tak and Pentax K but also is bigger and heavier, I'd certainly prefer the smaller, later MD version. The OM is smallest, I personally like that a lot, the latest with MC may be the best (?)
( yesterday I left for another long journey and for a 24mm I took along the Pentax K )

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty happy with my S-M-C Takumar 24 f/3.5 although I haven´t been able to test it much yet. Here is one of my earlier shots with this lens.

Park Industrial Espanya by Gshoemake, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Glenn,
I just saw your other post. great takumar set you have.
I dont have many takumars as many member here.
Enjoy your stay.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome Hoanpham.

After getting addicted to the S-M-C Takumar 50 f/1.4 I decided to pick up the other lenses as they aren´t getting any cheaper with the popularity of m43 and Sony NEX systems. I really love the quality of the images and the build quality of the lenses.
Unfortunately I missed out a few years ago when they were significantly cheaper but better late to the game then never.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase. I never had a Tak 24/3.5, but I did have a Takumar 28/3.5. I didn't know how to use it, so I never liked my photos, but I remember it being quite sharp, certainly better than my first Nikon 28, a 28/2.8 Ai.

I've wanted a 24 for quite a while, but I have trouble justifying it, since I have a 20/3.5, a 28/2, and a 25-50/4.

Enjoy it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arninetyes wrote:
Congrats on the purchase. I never had a Tak 24/3.5, but I did have a Takumar 28/3.5. I didn't know how to use it, so I never liked my photos, but I remember it being quite sharp, certainly better than my first Nikon 28, a 28/2.8 Ai.

I've wanted a 24 for quite a while, but I have trouble justifying it, since I have a 20/3.5, a 28/2, and a 25-50/4.

Enjoy it!

Thanks Arninetyes, I did the opposite, buying the 24/3.5 and the 35/2 to avoid needing a 20 f/4.5 or the 28/3.5.
Maybe one day if I decide to be a collector, I will look for those.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tak & the Ensinor. Both great lenses on DSLR, but on film the Tak is much better IMO as it has better contrast.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I have the Tak & the Ensinor. Both great lenses on DSLR, but on film the Tak is much better IMO as it has better contrast.

Well I was surprised using the Ensinor 24mm when quite a few shots on one roll of film were ruined by the sharpness and harsh contrast. The best shots using the Ensinor were in the "free tilt shift" thread and others of the castle in "Panos using film" thread, others were not very good because as mentioned "sharpness and harsh contrast".
Maybe there is a clash with Fuji film, Ensinor lens and Fuji dev and scanning machine Wink