Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What Are You Favorite M42 35mm Focal Length Lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:09 am    Post subject: What Are You Favorite M42 35mm Focal Length Lenses? Reply with quote

The threads on this topic all over the internet are a little older. Of course, we all know that the 35mm f/2.4 MC Flektogon is near the top of any list as well as some various Pentax lenses. But, apart from lenses that we may love for their "effects" or other subjective quality, what are your opinions as to the best performing 35mm focal-length lens "objectively?" Like the traditional metrics -- sharpness, lack of distortion, vignetting at wider aperture, coma/astigmatism, color rendition, etc.? Leaving aside the now-rare-and-now expensive modern M42 Zeiss "ZS" 35mm and the Flek, what do you like? One of the Pentax offerings? The West German Voigtlander 35mm f/3.4? Some older single-coated East German product? Maybe a Fujica or Mamiya sleeper? Maybe all M42 35mm lenses are far too long in the tooth, but would love to hear your opinions!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 35mm f1.9. Good from wide open. Large lens though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashinon DX 2.8/35
Some samples

For landscapes, the S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5 is hard to beat
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super-Takumar 35mm F2 version 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:

This is my vote as well. I don't consider it to be any larger than your typical 35mm f/2.8, however.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
RnR wrote:

This is my vote as well. I don't consider it to be any larger than your typical 35mm f/2.8, however.

My vote too. A stellar lens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use many M42's anymore....

But while I did, i was fond of my :
Silver Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 1Q 2.8/35 (9 blades) Made in february 1956

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to what I mentioned in another recent thread, you could probably find some early 80s Soligor C/D lenses or Vivitars offered in M42 mount.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: What Are You Favorite M42 35mm Focal Length Lenses? Reply with quote

nimoythecat wrote:
The threads on this topic all over the internet are a little older. Of course, we all know that the 35mm f/2.4 MC Flektogon is near the top of any list as well as some various Pentax lenses. But, apart from lenses that we may love for their "effects" or other subjective quality, what are your opinions as to the best performing 35mm focal-length lens "objectively?" Like the traditional metrics -- sharpness, lack of distortion, vignetting at wider aperture, coma/astigmatism, color rendition, etc.? Leaving aside the now-rare-and-now expensive modern M42 Zeiss "ZS" 35mm and the Flek, what do you like? One of the Pentax offerings? The West German Voigtlander 35mm f/3.4? Some older single-coated East German product? Maybe a Fujica or Mamiya sleeper? Maybe all M42 35mm lenses are far too long in the tooth, but would love to hear your opinions!

I had flek 35/2,4 it's great lens except for landscape, voigtlander 35/3,4 is better for landscape. I have it in Zeiss brand with Icarek bayonet, contrasty good colour, but flex is better for closer object.
for now, I prefer Schneider Kreuznach cinelux 35/2 projector lens. No m42 lenses anymore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto-TAKUMAR 1:2.3 / 35 -- Magical lens with lots of character https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--23-35-335.html

Another vote for Super-TAKUMAR 1:2 / 35 (Model I -- the FAT one) -- A BIG lens https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--2--35-model-i-368.html

Another vote for Auto/Super/Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:3.5 / 35 -- Sharp stopped down, tiny 150g weight

Another vote for Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 2,8 / 35 -- very close minimum focus distance 18cm(!)

Last edited by visualopsins on Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
RnR wrote:

Hmm... maybe my other 35mm's are small Very Happy

Excuse the quick mobile pic...

Yashica ML 35mm f2.8, Vivitar 35mm f2.8 (37xxxxx), Vivitar 35mm f1.9

The Tokina made Vivitar is decent too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flektogon!!

Although I prefer the images from the Meyer Lydith, but that's 30 mm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the same as Visualopsins. Except I have the second version of the Flektogon which is 2.4 and focuses to 20cm. I also have the 35/1.9 Vivitar but in Panagor where it is 35/2.0. If I had to pick I would keep the Takumar 35/2.3 and the Flektogon 35mm/2.4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My clear no. 1 M42 lens in 35mm FL = Voigtländer Color-Skoparex 2.8/35 (also available as Carl Zeiss Distagon HFT 2.8/35 in QBM):

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have many 35mm lenses, 3 c-mounts, a PK, a PB, & two M42.

One of my two M42 versions is a budget bellows lens in fairly poor condition, so it's not surprising the other is my favourite.
That other is a good condition Flektogon, (which I was lucky enough to pick up with a camera & other gear for £10) makes it even less surprising Smile

FWIW I prefer the Flektogon to my other mount 35mm lenses too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
RnR wrote:

Hmm... maybe my other 35mm's are small Very Happy

My most oft-used 35mm is a Canon FL 35mm f/2.5, which is approximately the same size as the Vivitar, so I guess it's all a matter of perspective, even though I did specifically reference f/2.8. As I recall, without having to dig for it, my breechlock Canon FD 35mm f/2.8 is about the same size as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm using a Rikenon f2.8 to fill the 35mm slot. I'm hoping to upgrade to the Auto Takumar 35mm f2.3 before too long. The Rikenon does fairly well and I happen to like the sawtooth bokeh when stepped down as seen in the flare in the photo below.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good contrast, low distortion sharpness is soft at the edges of aps-c but goes well with panorma software. Central sharpness is great.

Better than taking them with the modern kitzoom at 18mm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:3.5 / 35 -- Sharp stopped down, tiny 150

For M42-Mount my vote too.

But today a cheap Tamron AF 2.8 35mm for Sony FE-Mount easily beats the old Takumar.

BG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

My most oft-used 35mm is a Canon FL 35mm f/2.5.

Ooops ... that reminds of my own FL 2.5/35mm which must have arrived several months ago, and which I never managed to test and/or use.
Obviously I got the package late in the evening and something important to do later on, so I put it on the shelf and forgot it. Which is a
shame since I explicitly bought it because you were so fond of it!!

cooltouch wrote:
As I recall, without having to dig for it, my breechlock Canon FD 35mm f/2.8 is about the same size as well.

As far as I know there is no breechlock FD 2.8/35mm - just the humble 3.5/35mm and the "concave" and the "convex" FD 2/35mm.
Or did I miss something?

S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@lightdreamer
The tamron you mentioned wont work on canon ef-s.

@Oldhand
Very nice results. Rendering-Look it generates is a bit similar to the 1.7 50 DX.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever mentioned that rare Voigtlander 35mm f/2.8 M42 lens -- there was one on eBay I was watching and it just got snatched up by someone! Smile. It seems like that is the same lens design as the Contax 35mm 2.8?

Anyone have any love for the 35mm f/2 MIR-24M?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimoythecat wrote:
Whoever mentioned that rare Voigtlander 35mm f/2.8 M42 lens -- there was one on eBay I was watching and it just got snatched up by someone! Smile. It seems like that is the same lens design as the Contax 35mm 2.8?

I've posted the picture of this lens. Yes, it's the same lens as the Rollei and the Contax Zeiss Distagon 35/2.8.

I'm rather sure that this is the best M42 lens in 35mm you can get. It's almost as good as the Minolta MD 35/2.8 (Version III) which I consider as the benchmark.
In other words: If you are able to adapt the Minolta lens then go for it. It's better and cheaper as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the Carl Zeiss 35mm Distagon f2 ZS classic, but you said to leave that one out... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

cooltouch wrote:
As I recall, without having to dig for it, my breechlock Canon FD 35mm f/2.8 is about the same size as well.

As far as I know there is no breechlock FD 2.8/35mm - just the humble 3.5/35mm and the "concave" and the "convex" FD 2/35mm.
Or did I miss something?

S

Yes that is correct, but there is the Canon FDn 35mm f2.8:

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/nfd205.html