Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is this inside my Tamron lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: What is this inside my Tamron lens? Reply with quote

I bought another Tamron 07A 28-50 / 3.5-4.5 at the Camera Fair the other day, I've had a 07A for ages, it's a nice little lens, but my 'new' one was very cheap, filthy dirty but undamaged, I buy lenses like this to clean up and sell on at the next Camera Fair. And it did clean up very well, but then I noticed something that looked like an iris of an eye inside the lens. So I tested it alongside my old 07A.

And this is the result, the first picture is the Churchyard and the horizon is the treeline over a mile away, the other two are the best I could get wide open and closed right down of closer objects.

This is inside the lens, and it's weird. the yellow with the black border bit appears to be fixed and 'solid', with clarity, wheras the outer part seems to be soft, and not clear. There is also a thick liquid that can be seen in the botton of the outer ring, and this slowly sinks to the bottom if the lens is rotated.
If this is just some weird effect of lubrication leaking onto the optics - I don't know? Or is it some kind of filter that's been inserted into the lens? The lens was dirt cheap, so I'm quite prepared to take it apart to find out, but maybe it is some kind of soft focus effect?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Lloydy. Looks like a big bubble. Is it in between cemented elements?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Very interesting Lloydy. Looks like a big bubble. Is it in between cemented elements?

That was a thought I had, but I can't imagine seperation being so symetrical? But it's a possibility, HOWEVER...

I have had another look at it using a loupe and a LED light, if I look obliquely through the lens the yellow center and the opaque outer look to on different planes - the yellow to the front and opaque behind it, and the yellow is actually across whichever lens element its on, it looks like a badly yellowed thorium lens. The thin black rim appears to be the edge of the opening in the donut shaped opaque ring.

I'll try and take a picture..

Last edited by Lloydy on Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I have had another look at it using a loupe and a LED light, if I look obliquely through the lens the yellow center and the opaque outer look to on different planes - the yellow to the front and opaque behind it, and the yellow is actually across whichever lens element its on, it looks like a badly yellowed thorium lens. The thin black rim appears to be the edge of the opening in the donut shaped opaque ring.

I'll try and take a picture..

No way it's a Thorium lens - the use of thoriated glass had stopped much earlier. AND, if it was just thoriated glass, it wouldn't explain the abysmal performance.

It sure looks like a drop of oil (which would explain the "performance" or better the lack of it), but it remains a mystery as to how it got there ...

S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil is my guess...take apart & let us know! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange and very interesting. How could they center the oil so perfectly? Keep us appraised.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say oil. Probably between a pair of convex & concave lens surfaces, that almost touch at the center but have a bigger gap at the edge. That yellow clear center is then probably a circle of oil held between the lenses by capillary action where the lenses almost touch. This would also explain why it is slightly off-center, as gravity will drag it down a bit against the capillary forces. At the edge the distance between the elements is likely big enough that gravitational forces can overcome the capillary forces, and there the oil just flows to the bottom. In the last two images you can just about make out that the suspected oil is also yellow.

Possibly a failed lubrication attempt, or an attempt to fill the gap between a separated pair of lenses with oil.

Alternatively, this isn't oil but a (fairly fresh) solution of Canada balsam in xylene. If that is used for re-cementing a crown & flint, but an almost symmetrical flint is accidentally reversed, the same effect can occur as with the oil mentioned above, as then the crown and flint won't match precisely and the gap won't be uniform.

But it could be something else.

Do let us know when you find out Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really sure why people have jumped ahead claiming cement/glue without looking at the optical scheme- where there are no cemented elements:

I am very, very curious as to what's going on here, and why it's so perfectly round in the middle.

A disassembly guide for this lens, in Japanese, is here https://yossyheim.com/tamron-07a-28-50mm-macro-repair

It's a two group zoom, and the front (negative) group comes out as a unit, as seen below, after you take the rubber of the focuser off and loosen a set screw for it. Won't come out otherwise. Good place to start and get a clear view of the rear section/parts around it.

[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:

I am very, very curious as to what's going on here, and why it's so perfectly round in the middle.

A drop of oil, caught in between to convex lens surfaces. Probably one of these two locations:

As RokDoc has explained previously:
RokkorDoctor wrote:
I would say oil. Probably between a pair of convex & concave lens surfaces, that almost touch at the center but have a bigger gap at the edge.
Possibly a failed lubrication attempt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
eggplant wrote:

A drop of oil, caught in between to convex lens surfaces. Probably one of these two locations:

RokkorDoctor wrote:
I would say oil. Probably between a pair of convex & concave lens surfaces, that almost touch at the center but have a bigger gap at the edge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
eggplant wrote:

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Makes perfect sense actually. Didn't think to clock the gap as being that small, envisioned the liquid falling out the sides lol, but yeah.
And sorry- barely many people said it was cemented.

Now just need to be careful on disassembly, can imagine that liquid dropping out into the lens somewhere...!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
I am not really sure why people have jumped ahead claiming cement/glue without looking at the optical scheme- where there are no cemented elements:

A disassembly guide for this lens, in Japanese, is here https://yossyheim.com/tamron-07a-28-50mm-macro-repair

It's a two group zoom, and the front (negative) group comes out as a unit, as seen below, after you take the rubber of the focuser off and loosen a set screw for it. Won't come out otherwise. Good place to start and get a clear view of the rear section/parts around it.

[/img]

I hadn't actually checked if there were cemented elements; I had seen mention of cemented elements earlier in the thread and had assumed there might be some, my bad! Wink

I have had a look at those Japanese service instructions; looks indeed like the front cell needs to come first out to get to the cell with the oil between the elements, which also seems to come out via the front, together with the aperture assembly.

I agree with Stephan re. the likely location of the oil, but I am surprised that there can be that much oil without the aperture blades also having gummed up...

Having said that, over time a combination of oil evaporation, condensation & capillary action can make the oil turn up in the most unlikely places inside a lens, in my experience. Between a lens edge & lens retaining ring, or between a lens edge & lens mount, and between the aperture blades of course are common places where it collects. Anywhere with narrow clearances really.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:

Great link, thanks for that. And for the opinions of all of you, I appreciate it

I'm liking the idea that it could be oil leached out from the helicoid grease that is trapped in a very tight gap between two elements. It might be that the lens has stood for a long time front down and the oil has settled into the curve of the lens and then leached out the solvent leaving a varnish like residue. It's something I've seen in old oil in my career as a maintainence engineer.

I will strip it down when I can, just out curiosity rather than the need to save the lens, it cost less than a pint of beer and I already have a good copy. But I need to know...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O darn an adaptall-2 I don't have yet. No I don't need it ...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic and great responses! Sorry, I have nothing to add but to say this is why I love this forum. Lots of knowledge and ideas running around here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This to me is a very worrying malady which I fear could have origins elsewhere in our galaxy.

Be extremely careful with this one. You never know.

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
O darn an adaptall-2 I don't have yet. No I don't need it ...

Yeah ... I noticed the same ... Wink