Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus PEN E-PL1 + VF2 finder or Panasonic G3 for MF lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Olympus PEN E-PL1 + VF2 finder or Panasonic G3 for MF lenses Reply with quote

Hi All,

Whilst I cannot financially justify looking at the upcoming and glorious digital OM, I can perhaps stretch for either a:

Olympus PEN E-PL1 + VF2 finder or Panasonic G3

I can get the Olympus for US$250 factory refurbished and US$200 for the VF2 viewfinder, so about US$450 total...I can get the kit 14-40included so the total is about US$500.

The Panny G3 goes fro about US$630 with kit 14-42.

Which one is better for manual focusing? I'm looking for something with an EVF in addition to the rear LCD screen.

Any experience? I've an old Canon 5D mk1 and I find I don't take is out as much as I'd like as it's just too big to fit in my knapsack. And the mirror fouls on my old Exakta lenses!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eugene, i sent you PM.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eugene,
I have a Pen E-P2 with the EVF2 and it is very good for manual focusing, as I can magnify the image x7 while manually focusing.
It is directly seen in the EVF2. Great confort.
What I appreciate in the E-P2 is also the body stabilisation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote for EPL1 .You have ALL the manual lenses stabilised The new sensor of G3 seems to be very good ,better than the one of EPL1 mainly in HIGH ISO , probably one-two stop advantage ,that you'll compensate on Oly with stabilisation (roughly) .Of course , I'm speaking of MF lenses use , because the Panasonic lenses are stabilised.
Of course ,depends on your style of photography.If you prefere action ,G3 is the way to go , because you'll need highest shutter speed possible and ISO .If you shoot mainly static subjects ,like me , the stabilisation on all lenses is something great !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote for E-PL1 as well. I have it and absolutely love what I get out of it with manual lenses. Just search my posts to see the results. However, there is an issue you should be aware of. E-PL1 has a pretty crappy LCD, which requires considerable "getting used to" outdoors. Just something to be aware of.