Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 400d focus screen help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Canon 400d focus screen help Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a cheap focus screen that can be installed without extra shims/washers?

Currently, I have no canon ef/ef-s lens, nor any in eos mount, but many in m42 and tamron adaptall2.
Please recommend a m42 adapter, or if you have a spare Tamron adapter, please let me know.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted one of these in my 400D:
Click here to see on Ebay

Nice and kind of bright (as far as the 400D goes Sad) but focussing was out when I first fitted it. I had to build up the thickness of the shim with 2 layers of magic tape. However, every camera is unique so there's no shortcut, you'll have to calibrate yours yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter.

I got the camera donated for free, just paid the shipping cost, and intent to use it for educational purpose. However, I dont have AF optics for newbees and need to 'upgrade' it to handle MF lenses. Focus screen and m42 af confirm should be ok.

I went through eby and found out that m42 adapters with newer version of af-confirm chip can also be programmed with focal length and f-stops.

Is there anyone here having this kind of adapter? Would you prefer regular non-af-confirm adapters?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only use for programmable adapters on the 400D is to record the focal length in the EXIF data - they have no effect on metering and exposure in Av or M mode.

In practice, the AF confirm beep is pretty useless on my camera. It only works with aperture settings up to 5.6, and it's not very accurate - the beep sounds at different places depending on which direction the focus dial is turned. The split screen is much more useful.

I prefer plain M42 adapters, without the flange to push the auto pin. Sometimes the depth of the flange is too shallow and I have several lenses that won't screw fully into flanged adapters, so they don't quite reach infinity focus. Using plain adapters means that auto lenses without auto/manual switches (e.g. Helios 44M-4 or Meyer Domiplan, there are a few others) should be avoided. Lenses with A/M switches should be set on Manual, and preset and manual lenses (without auto pins) are fine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Peter.
You just save me 10usd for the simpler m42 adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Af confirm adapters and they help me a lot.

I like these very much :
- M42
without flange :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AF-confirm-M42-lens-canon-adapter-eos-50D-EXIF-edit-/400222235675?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item5d2f1aac1b

- Adaptall-2

I had no problems with them and AF confirm improved since my first one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Olivier,

I got the camera today.
It came with BG-E3 grip, 2 batteries, but no charger, no data cable.
I already ordered the cheapest plain m42 adapter for 4usd - i just pick out the most sold item on eby - but i think i will also order the two you pointed out.
Focus screen is still evaluating, but also going to pick the most sold to be sure.
I can't open the url of the tamron adapter, but it's ok. I have more m42 lenses that I can use.

This selection strategy is applied whenever I have many undetermined choices, like picking a restaurant with lots of people - food must be good or cheap or both Very Happy

If anyone has extra charger or extra data cable, please let me know.
Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to the Tamron adapter.
It is really good.

Chargers for 400D
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=400d+battery+charger&_sacat=See-All-Categories

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the focus screen installed and calibrated.

Also got the charger for free, and got 2 kit lenses, plastic build, but AF and suitable weight for kids.

The eby focus screen came with installation set. After 5-6 times trying to setting in and taking out. It seems to focus correctly in all distances and lenses, no need for extra washers/shims. I use a cheap/plain takumar/m42-EF adapter to test the focus with different lenses.

The camera is now ready for action. Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy.
We are now waiting for your photographies. Smile