Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Screws from SMC-M 50/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Screws from SMC-M 50/1.4 Reply with quote

There has been a little play around the name plate ring on my main 50 and last night it came off with the metal block holding it. I need to replace the screws holding it on as two are missing. From googling I've found out they are JIS and not Philips head screws but nowhere tells me the size. It's certainly very small and I'd need to use vernier calipers to measure them! As I've discovered that the most of the elements come out in a block it'd be the time to clean them too.

Does anyone know the size of these screws? Also has anyone used the rubber nameplate removal tools from MicroTools and would the 42/50 or the 48/55 be more suited for removing nameplates on a lens with a 49mm filter thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Screws from SMC-M 50/1.4 Reply with quote

William wrote:
There has been a little play around the name plate ring on my main 50 and last night it came off with the metal block holding it. I need to replace the screws holding it on as two are missing. From googling I've found out they are JIS and not Philips head screws but nowhere tells me the size. It's certainly very small and I'd need to use vernier calipers to measure them! As I've discovered that the most of the elements come out in a block it'd be the time to clean them too.

Does anyone know the size of these screws? Also has anyone used the rubber nameplate removal tools from MicroTools and would the 42/50 or the 48/55 be more suited for removing nameplates on a lens with a 49mm filter thread?

Hi William,
size of screws I don't know, about plate removal tools:
I use a rubber piece that is sold to put on chair legs to protect the floor to be scratched and which fits and works very well. Supposedly also very well working are sink stoppers / plugs of the correct size, or e.g. check out how the who made this tutorial of cleaning this lens improvises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rlDO5Qj6cU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yupp i use rubber rings for pluming to upen the name plate and they can help you unscrew different retaining rings too...
about the screw... i have replace a screw in the same you are trying to, but on a takumar anyway i used a bunch off screws that where left over from taring down some old useless camera, and i fount there a screw with similar length and similar spacings between its spirals (lol i hope you got me here) and i just screwed that in, and that was that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice regarding the nameplate removal. I think I'll have to scavenge some rubber rings or similar. Over the screws, I'm wary of using a different size and would like to use the perfect ones if I can find out what they are. This lens is one of the few I'm going to keep forever and I don't want to risk chewing up the threads.