Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus and Canon 50m 3.5 macro lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Olympus and Canon 50m 3.5 macro lenses Reply with quote

Just curious: has anybody ever done a side by side comparison of the Olympus and Canon 50mm 3.5 macro lenses? I have the Olympus and it is a nice lens, but since it is also the only macro lens I own I don't really have anything to compare it to. Lately I have been getting deeper and deeper into Canon FD lenses, hence the question.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with both of them. However, I do recommend the Micro Nikkor 55/3.5.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you vist Flickr (flickr.com) and do a search on each optic there. There are probably thousands of examples of photos taken with each lens.

I can provide you with some images that are scans of slides I shot with the Canon nFD 50mm f/3.5, but I've never had an opportunity to use the Olympus lens. And I don't own the Canon anymore, so I can't take any digital images with it.

There's another 50mm f/3.5 you might want to add to your list of possible considerations -- well, actually, a 55mm. The Nikkor 55mm f/3.5, whether pre-AI or AI, is really cheap these days and is one of the sharpest macros made. And the 55mm f/2.8 AIs is even sharper!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olympus 3.5/50mm Macro was the first Macro lens to have floating elements. Like the Micro Nikkor 3.5/55mm it is a Xenotar type [5/4] construction. You may notice that Nikon chose a slightly longer focal length to improve corner resolution while Olympus went for floating elements. Topcon (also a Xenotar type [5/4] lens) chose an even longer focal length for its Topcor RE 3.5/58mm Macro - which results in a very good performance at infinity.

As with the Olympus Macro, the Canon (n)FD 3.5/50mm Macro and the Minolta MC/MD 3.5/50mm Macro were f=50mm lenses too. They had no floating elements, but [6/4] constructions to get the required performance. The Minolta is a classical Planar, the Canon a Planar / Orthometar hybrid.

Now the big question is: What do you want to shoot?

Most (all?) of these vintage "normal macro" lenses were designed mainly for reproduction purposes: Good resolution over the entire image, little distortion, and flat field especially in the range of maybe 1:10 to 1:3 or so, but still retaining an acceptable or even good performance at infinity and 1:1.

If you want to have the best possible center resolution, you may consider a 1.4/50mm lens and a bellows, maybe combined with an achromatic close-up lens (e. g. from Minolta or Leitz). Book authors close to Nikon did clearly state back in the 1970s that the Nikkor 1.4/50mm would have a better center resolution (and more distortion) when used for macro work than their 3.5/55mm Micro Nikkor!

Going back to your question - I can't help you since I don't own the Olympus. Since it is a floating focusing construction, I would expect it to be as good as contemporary 3.5/50mm / 55mm lenses, but that's simply an assumption.

I have compared quite a few f3.5 macro lenses at infinity. Not all of them are excellent at infinity, especially wide open or at f5.6.

If you look for a vintage macro lens that might better than your Olympus, the Micro Nikkor 2.8/55mm comes to my mind. Beware of two problems, though: earlier samples tend to have oily (=stuck) aperture, later ones a "frozen focus". Nikon still produces this very lens, now, in 2022!

Another lens from the mid-1980s which is even better is the Minolta AF 2.8/50mm Macro. Unlike most vintage macros it goes from infinity to 1:1 without adapter, and it has an even more sophisticated double floating focusing system (=three groups moving independently).

But then - if you love collecting Canon FD / nFD lenses: just go ahead Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Another lens from the mid-1980s which is even better is the Minolta AF 2.8/50mm Macro. Unlike most vintage macros it goes from infinity to 1:1 without adapter, and it has an even more sophisticated double floating focusing system (=three groups moving independently.

Yes, I bought this Minolta on your recommendation and it's really good, also as an allround standard lens. The Nikkor 55/2.8 had as well, its really good for macro purposes; never used it at infinity. My micro nikkor 55/3.5 I use almost exclusively for Ebay listings, and it's very sharp, showing every little blemish on my lenses that's invisible to the naked eye.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have probably mentioned this before.
It does bear repeating though.
The A/I and A/I-s variants of the nikkor 55 micro seem to be susceptible to fungus, at least around here.
I have now examined 5 of these at the used retail level, and all have had fungus on the inside of the outermost rear element.
Just something to watch for if one goes this route...
A clean copy of the 2.8 A/I micro certainly is very, very sharp- a bit sharper than my factory A/I'd 55 micro 3.5 p.c.
I would hang on to any normal lenses at hand though.
The micro-nikkor series was primarily designed for close up work, and it does show a bit at infinity.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noone mentioned enlarger lenses? Far cheaper than anything else mentioned here, provided you're okay with bellows.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Olympus and I really like it. I had the FD but sold it as the FD bayonets are PITA on non Canon gear. I never compared them side by side but the Oly is one of my favorite normal range macros. But I have to confess a love for Oly glass. I snagged a copy of their bellows 38mm 2.8 for less than $200 and it is absolutely amazing glass. Neither are very expensive. Buy and try. If you don't like it, sell it again.