Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Weird macro try but failed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Weird macro try but failed Reply with quote

First off it's a complete failure. But with proper lighting and a tripod???
This is what happens when you take a Canon EOS 10D with MD macro adapter with no glass, add a Vivitar 2x Macro focusing TC at 1:1,with a Minolta 55 1.7 at f8 at MFD.

Sorry there is no way I could get enough light. This is handheld at 1/15s. This is not a crop just resized. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done similar with my extension tubes + 1.4x + EF 85LII, and it still had AF Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks quite good but you're never going to get a really sharp image out of a 10D.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results for handheld, but I don't envy you shooting macro with a camera that doesn't have live view. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I hope to have a camera with higher usable ISO and liveview in the next month or so. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other combo I wanted to try. Canon EOS 10D with Minolta Macro adapter, no glass,Vivitar Macro Focusing TC at 1:1,MD m42 adapter with M39 ring, FEd 35./50 at f8 at MFD handheld at 1/15s. Resized not a crop.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
you're never going to get a really sharp image out of a 10D.

Why is that? I don't believe it, actually. Smile

@walter: It looks like you're using the daylight white balance for a scene lit by incandescent light -- way too yellow. Use the incandescent WB preset or pick the right color temperature (or try auto white balance if that works well).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10D I had was incapable of producing a sharp image, regardless of lens. I see the same kind of softness in Walter's pics.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
you're never going to get a really sharp image out of a 10D.

Why is that? I don't believe it, actually. Smile

@walter: It looks like you're using the daylight white balance for a scene lit by incandescent light -- way too yellow. Use the incandescent WB preset or pick the right color temperature (or try auto white balance if that works well).

Thanks, it's set on Auto WB. I will shoot the next one on manual.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setting was moved. I should of checked it with my glasses on. It wasn't on auto wb. Embarassed
This is with the FED 2 again at f8. Vivitar macro focusing tc was set at 1:2. Because of lack of light this was shot at ISO 1600.Shot is handheld.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't look too shabby. Now try it on some more interesting subjects. Wink
When I first got a macro lens I found that it is really one of my favorite kinds of photography. It doesn't really require any special skills; just some affinity with your subjects, the ability to hold the camera still, and patience.
I think this was shot with my Tokina 90/2.5 macro on a 40D:

Missed the focus on the eyes here, but it was during mid-day on a hot day, so the insects were very active and there was no other option than to shoot handheld.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile Hopefully it will get a little warmer and I can go out and play.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter that last image looks pretty good!

Are you using Canon DPP to process raw images? The white balance can be adjusted in raw there real easy. The unsharp mask and sharpen is better on raw too. I tried the hard way using your jpeg, and got this:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile
No it was shot as a JPEG with Auto WB.I will try it in raw and see what I come up with, but I don't have DPP. I bought the camera used with no softwarwe. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It looks quite good but you're never going to get a really sharp image out of a 10D.

http://www.pbase.com/marysa/canon10d_macro

Walter, I think you're on a good track there. Just try experimenting with a really sturdy tripod, subject in same plane as sensor. I think your 10D will do great!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/marysa/canon10d_macro

Walter, I think you're on a good track there. Just try experimenting with a really sturdy tripod, subject in same plane as sensor. I think your 10D will do great!

Thanks Smile , I need to setup an area indoors with better lighting where I can practise, and thanks for the link. Smile