Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Book about gestalt theory and photography question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Book about gestalt theory and photography question Reply with quote

Does anybody know a book about gestalt theory in photography? I just read the Arnheim’s book Art and Visual Perception and I would like to extend my knowledge, but a little more from photography perspective.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe find something here:

Google Scholar: gestalt, photography

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Maybe find something here:

Google Scholar: gestalt, photography

Thanks for the link visualopsins. I did check the google and all of its offspring (even google earth Wink ), and also amazon, abebooks, cobiss and similar. Seems that only Photography and visual perception by Zakia more directly applies the gestalt theory to photography. But there must be other books which cover some aspects of gestalt theory in relation to photography.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only think of other studies -- the ancient petroglyph forms, the Archetypes of Jung, the Symbolism of Joseph Campbell and symbolism in general, how optical illusions work, how the visual opsins work (Smile), even advertising...

79(!) synonyms for 'gestalt'; search using those? I like 'circumambiencies' Laughing

Surely some professor or practitioner has heard of such a book. There must also be gestalt forae to ask.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Freeman covers it briefly in "The Photographers Eye" I'll take a look and see if he referenced anyone's work. As I recall he wrote of some work in Germany pre WWII I believe. Things like your brain will associate things in a group to be related and how your mind will finish a partial circle and what not. I'm more of a Bryan Peterson type thinker but Mr Freeman certainly has some some helpful ideas.

I believe a good deal of the work in Gestalt theory didn't pan out but a lot of it certainly did. It's interesting to look back on though.