Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Herb Ritts exhibit, HMOA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Herb Ritts exhibit, HMOA Reply with quote

The Huntsville Museum of Art is running this exhibit thru Jan 29, 2012 if you're
in the area. They were showing videos on large projection screens in two separate
rooms, amazing body of work. These snaps were with a Canon A490, definitely
not high quality:

The photos were under glass and tried to reduce reflections by shooting at an angle,
not very successful.

One of his favorite cameras, the Mamiya RZ 67:

famous video he did of Chris Isaak's Wicked Game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOxCqSxRD0&feature=feedf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing Bill! It must have been a really interesting exhibition.
I'd say that your photos are quite good considering the circumstances!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, I'm sad I won't be "in the area". The shot of David Bowie is my favourite. I don't recognise the man puffing out his cheek (should I?) but what's the betting he plays trumpet? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Orio, I have a membership at the museum and will probably visit
a couple more times before it's gone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Thanks Bill, I'm sad I won't be "in the area". The shot of David Bowie is my favourite. I don't recognise the man puffing out his cheek (should I?) but what's the betting he plays trumpet? Smile

Dizzy Gillespie, good guess! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
peterqd wrote:

Dizzy Gillespie, good guess! Smile

I just knew I should have recognised him! Embarassed All the books I've read say it's bad practice to puff out your cheeks when you're playing, but the best jazz players all seem to do it. Just look at the pressure in his cheek!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dizzy played on an old Martin Committee trumpet, along with other unknowns like
Chet Baker, Miles Davis. Smile I know LeBlanc eventually absorbed the Committee holdings
and saw to it Miles could get new trumpets, even though they discontinued the line. I'm
trying to remember if it was Getzen or Holton that made a Gillespie model with upturned
bell...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the better shows I saw while at college was Dizzy Gilespie... he had an electric band with him, but man, they were good.

That shot with the 5 models... I bet it would be fun sitting in between them Wink I mean purely for the sensation of all that skin. I mean, it probably wasn't all that warm in the studio.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
That shot with the 5 models... I bet it would be fun sitting in between them Wink I mean purely for the sensation of all that skin. I mean, it probably wasn't all that warm in the studio.

Jussi, I'm sure your presence would've been most welcome, not only by the models, but the photographer, too. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice of you to say, but I'm afraid it might be true only if the photographer was someone like Lucien Freud Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if Fellini was into still photography... Wink