Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EOS-M + Voigtlander 35/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: EOS-M + Voigtlander 35/1.4 Reply with quote

This was an absolute fantastic success. Really solid lens, awesome feel, totally fun to play with, and it has tons of character. This will be an great street photography combination as it's tiny compared to my 60D + Samyang 35/1.4, which means it won't scare people like Samyang 35 does.

Shot wide open and handheld in terrible lighting. I just wanted to see how well it could do.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fun kit, I hope to see more shots.
How easy is it to nail focus?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a seriously handsome-looking combination, and one I am envious of. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
How easy is it to nail focus?

For close-ups, not bad at all, although I've gotten good at nailing focus with LCD screens since all of my lenses on my 60D are manual focus, so I have a good deal of practise with MF and digital. I have a trick where I go back and forth until it's discernably but equally out of focus in both directions and then move my finger physically to the middle of those two spots. Build quality and butteriness of focus ring is on par with Contax Zeiss and Takumars, no play at all, so this is working well for me (I can't use my trick on most Russian lenses). Magic Lantern would help, but they are still working on it for the newer version of the EOS-M firmware which mine happens to have. I'll just wait it out. Of course, in the most difficult situations it's always possible to set it on continuous shooting, focus bracket, and pick out the best image in post.

For landscapes, hellishly easy since infinity focus is perfect despite me having a cheap Leica-M to EOS-M adapter in-between. I don't know whether I got lucky with the adapter purchase or whether they in fact are so well calibrated. Although in all reality since one usually stops down to f/8 or beyond for landscapes it shouldn't make a huge difference even if your adapter copy is off.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy my NEX-7 for manual glass, peaking helps but I rely more on zooming in on the live view, and at times(typically with sharp lenses) there can be a shimmer on the plane of focus(moire caused by fine details and the EVF/LCD pixels), which I find super accurate for focusing, my 1DIII with the S focus screen did the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks pretty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I really enjoy my NEX-7 for manual glass, peaking helps but I rely more on zooming in on the live view, and at times(typically with sharp lenses) there can be a shimmer on the plane of focus(moire caused by fine details and the EVF/LCD pixels), which I find super accurate for focusing, my 1DIII with the S focus screen did the same thing.

True, if it were my main camera I might have gone for a NEX. I grabbed the EOS-M because it was coming USD 299 shipped with the 20/2 lens, which I plan to sell (I can't stand AF lenses) so figure I sell it for the going price of 100-150 and effectively I get a really fantastic bargain for a DSLR quality sensor. Plus it's hackable with ML.

Basically I wanted to make sure I have a half-decent camera with me 100% of the time, even if it's just a grocery shopping trip. I take my DSLR out a lot and it'll continue to be my workhorse obviously, but I miss a lot of candid shots, be them at the grocery store or in the office or wherever.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens has really interesting bokeh. It's the noisy sort of bokeh but it has a lot of character, almost like a painting. It has an interesting capability to add small wavy distortions to high contrast, out of focus areas. The tea cups in this picture are (in real life) perfectly round, but see how they turn out here: