Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Eskofot-Ultragon 1:9/150mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Eskofot-Ultragon 1:9/150mm Reply with quote

Lens:

Mounted on bellows and on Sony Alpha 700.

crop of above

crop of above

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow excellent results and so small for the range.
really like the bokeh.
how is this mounted?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An overlooked repro/enlarger lens, made by Agfa, but actually was designed by Staeble, which Agfa had bought.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
really like the bokeh.
how is this mounted?

Its mounted on an Exakta bellows -sorry missed this before.

kds315* wrote:
An overlooked repro/enlarger lens, made by Agfa, but actually was designed by Staeble, which Agfa had bought.

Thank you for your valuable insight Klaus.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most welcome! Forgot to add that it is a HELIAR design (most likely).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
really like the bokeh.
how is this mounted?

+1

@Kath: What a very interesting lens you got.

Just curious, you use a bellow due it's longer register distance or because it's the practical way to mount the lens (and act as macro lens) ? ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the colors, I mean in general. Every picture you have posted shows awesome colors. I think it's partially the camera's merit, Sony Alpha (and I want to point out "alpha", as I can't say the same about my nex-5) has great colors usually, but I wonder if you apply any PP to your photos, thx and I apologize for the offtop Razz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
eddieitman wrote:
really like the bokeh.
how is this mounted?

+1

@Kath: What a very interesting lens you got.

Just curious, you use a bellow due it's longer register distance or because it's the practical way to mount the lens (and act as macro lens) ? ...

Yes on all fronts. To give it the most versatility while sacrificing very little. Very Happy

RTI wrote:
I like the colors, I mean in general. Every picture you have posted shows awesome colors. I think it's partially the camera's merit, Sony Alpha (and I want to point out "alpha", as I can't say the same about my nex-5) has great colors usually, but I wonder if you apply any PP to your photos, thx and I apologize for the offtop

I think variables like light, angle of light , and settings used are also very important factors. I use a version of Lightroom to import my photos and always tweak it a little when necessary. I try not to overindulge in what you call PP, but am always striving to get the best outcome.
I have seen some amazing images from the Sony Nex on the web and "Uhoh" a member here puts out some pretty good stuff from his Nex. I cannot say much there as I myself have not used the Nex. Very Happy

I think there is a subforum where the "comparers" compare them.

Best y'all

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post deleted.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I think a link would have sufficed- your images are not relevant to the title. I hope you are sensitive to that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone has your sensitivity and politeness Kathmandu Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Kathmandu, I have deleted my post.

Cheers Klaus, I really appreciate the jibe at me.

That's sarcasm by the way, I don't appreciate it at all, very rude indeed, shame on you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, sorry for intrusion. I really like your samples btw, I have seen a few of these Eskofot lenses on ebay, never thought to try one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
No problem, sorry for intrusion. I really like your samples btw, I have seen a few of these Eskofot lenses on ebay, never thought to try one.

No problem ! and thanks-I am always open in trying older lenses like this -lenses not have sample images visible through "search". I read a little in the LF forums ,nothing conclusive, and no samples.
Klaus was resourceful enough to give me the design/make to the best of his knowledge/experience.

Having used it a little- I have yet to try its "closeup-macro" potential. I would like to see what kind of image quality I'd get with a hood on this lens.

Adios ababa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first pic is gorgeous !
Congratulations !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
The first pic is gorgeous !
Congratulations !

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got precisely the same lens, with another producer name. The inscription on the barrel states Staeble-Ultragon.

After a fast and a bit ackward custom adaptation I may test it for distant shots. The results are not as impressive as the ones by Kathmandu. I presume the lens will improve greatly with a hood. Otherwise its contrast seem low and colors dull. Still, the net and sharp lines are what you have from at f8 which is the lens' wide open.

All images are auto-adjusted. The camera is NEX-5N.

An original shot without corrections (and no hood), to give an idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here comes the info of the lens' optic design:

"Those Staeble Ultragons are symmetric Plasmat constructions like Schneiders G-Claron. The Staeble Ultragon was also sold as “Eskofot Ultragon” and “Agfa Repromaster” (Agfa owned Staeble since 1969)." (Source)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTI wrote:
I like the colors, I mean in general. Every picture you have posted shows awesome colors. I think it's partially the camera's merit, Sony Alpha (and I want to point out "alpha", as I can't say the same about my nex-5) has great colors usually, but I wonder if you apply any PP to your photos, thx and I apologize for the offtop Razz

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Most welcome! Forgot to add that it is a HELIAR design (most likely).

I had one, Klaus. 6/4 plasmat type.

I could be mistaken, but AFAIK there've been only two, perhaps three, heliar type process lenses. Voigtlaender Apo-Skopar (not a tessar type, in spite of the name) and Boyer Apo-Saphir (most, the very earliest were 6/4 plasmat types). The VM is vague about TTH's f/9 Butal,suggests that it might be a heliar type.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 7 or 8 of these Staeble/Agfa lenses in lengths from 80 to 270mm, all of them are 6/4 plasmats and very fine ones too, however, the pale blue coating is not the best. I use a 4.5/107 on a helicoid on my Sony a850, mostly for macro work and it is extremely sharp but low contrast which needs to be fixed in PP.