Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon 4/21mm on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Konica Hexanon 4/21mm on NEX-3 Reply with quote

Not been any decent weather for photography for a while here but at least the rain stopped so I did my best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series overall ! Some of them trully excellent!

Next time please resize pictures before upload to 1024 px or 1600px , useless to put bigger size , just eat space on server.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I will remember to resize next time!

I like this lens but I feel I can do better, the rain got in the way of making a lot of the shots I wanted to.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward them! These images especially vertical one, looks nicer if we can see them on screen without scrolling

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mystical pictures -
the plastic waste bags and (only if you are picky) the steel roof don´t fully fit to the charater of the images, as they put you back in time before these existed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian these are really fine shots. the ladder, the framed mossy tree and a couple of b&w's are just brilliant. this is all of a sudden a very valuable lens. btw, when the sun comes out i think you will get best results using a hood. this and the 24mm really benefit from a hood on a bright day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, I enjoyed using this lens, very well built, super smooth focus, very easy to focus, I shot all these at f8 and dof seems very deep at that aperture.

My friend actually said 'why don't you move those plastic bags' but I didn't as I didn't have any gloves with me and they were filthy, wish I had followed his suggestion now.

The steel roof is a mystery, no idea why a house that has been derelict for a long time has a modern roof on it. The barn next to it also has a steel roof, most strange.

I planned to go back today to shoot the exterior but sadly it rained all day again.

I also need to buy petal hoods to fit my 21mm and 24mm Hexanons, they came with original cases but no hoods, I think Konica must have sold them as an optional extra as none of my Hexanons came with hoods even though they almost all came with original leather cases.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Hexanon hood for the 24mm is a rectangular one , it fits on the lens with a screw. I don't know about the 21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is looking well.
These to me show too much exposure compensation in PP.
Take it easy on the Shadow/Highlight filter and/or Dodge burn compensations.
They leave a lot of artifacts and make colors look very strange if overdone.
It's better to have shadows where there is no light Wink
Keep it up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series!

sunshine wrote:
These to me show too much exposure compensation in PP

it is the hdr algorithm who work like that
Gollum live there
www.google.com/search?q=gollum&tbm=isch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the original Konica hood for sale, it would have cost me more than the 24 or 28mm lenses cost me so I passed.

Poilu is correct, it is the HDR, I have to use HDR to get good results when the weather and light are so bad, it really was dark and horrible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's HDR Was just trying to be subtle Wink

I would say go easy on the sliders. What you are ending up with is a photo that looks like it could have been done by a iPhone or P&S.
Why go to the trouble of using a fabulous lens like the Hex 4/21 on an adapter and expensive camera if you will create final output that in reality mimics a pocket phone.
I'm not an HDR Nazi I promise you (it works nicely when it works nicely).
Using HDR Correctly though is an art in itself.
I live in the Pacific NW or the US. It's often dark and rainy here. The best way to deal with it is longer exposure on a tripod rather than SW algorithms.
Or let shade be shade and compose with the shadows in mind.

There is my critique . Hope you find it useful in some way.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I know it's HDR Was just trying to be subtle Wink

I would say go easy on the sliders. What you are ending up with is a photo that looks like it could have been done by a iPhone or P&S.
Why go to the trouble of using a fabulous lens like the Hex 4/21 on an adapter and expensive camera if you will create final output that in reality mimics a pocket phone.
I'm not an HDR Nazi I promise you (it works nicely when it works nicely).
Using HDR Correctly though is an art in itself.
I live in the Pacific NW or the US. It's often dark and rainy here. The best way to deal with it is longer exposure on a tripod rather than SW algorithms.
Or let shade be shade and compose with the shadows in mind.

There is my critique . Hope you find it useful in some way.

Cheers!

+1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, that I like many of these photos, even if I'm not a HDR fan (to put it mildly).
My favourite is the fourth from last (what about numbering the photos next time? Wink )
for I love the way the reflection on the waters look.
But all the last four ones are favourites to me.

Having that said, I would like to ask: what's wrong in letting photos look dark and rainy, when it's dark and rainy?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually photos look crap in dark clouded sky , there is some exception for example what you shows , hdr is a great help to Ian.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although i greatly benefit from hdr in certain situations, i agree with orio that often times its good to maintain the mood of the scene.

btw the 24mm hood is often available for around $20 and it fits all AR lenses except the 21. for that you could get an inexpnsive shallow rubber one...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Usually photos look crap in dark clouded sky , there is some exception for example what you shows , hdr is a great help to Ian.

I agree that overcast sky isn't so appealing and easy for photography . that's why we should be careful and frame as Orio did in his sample : with no sky (when possible).I this way the excessive dynamic range between the sky and the subjects on the ground is avoided.
( interesting about this: http://photo.net/learn/making-photographs/light )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their input, I value this type of feedback a lot. I will try some more dramatic shots with more shadows, the NEX has a pretty good dynamic range with DRO enabled so might do quite well despite the awful light.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a play with Silver Efex and I like the vintage look when used with old, decrepit subjects like these.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice old style photos , excellent IAN.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila, I think you have to match the subject with the vintage look, modern subjects don't look right with a vintage effect applied imho.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Thanks Attila, I think you have to match the subject with the vintage look, modern subjects don't look right with a vintage effect applied imho.

Exactly right!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried some night-time shots this evening, not completely successful but interesting imho. Seems this lens is less resistant to flare than my Tokina 3.5/17 and also has more distortion.