Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Takumar 1:4.5 20mm on Canon 60d
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Super Takumar 1:4.5 20mm on Canon 60d Reply with quote

Hey all, I have been spending some time with this lens and I lkike it a LOT.
It's very sharp in the center, yet has lots of character in the edges.

The one problem with my copy is that is focuses a tiny bit past infinity, so I have to be careful

Some technical samples:

Infinity and CA test:

Original

Center crop

Corner crop (some blue fringeing)

Original (wide open I think):

Center crop

Some more artistic samples:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your artistic samples! Focusing over infinity might be caused by a too thin adapter. IMO a little loss of image quality at very edges is not a big problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this lens too! (see my signature below? Smile)

Lens has peculiar distortion barrel center portion pincushion outer. Outer portion is not part of crop sensor image.

? I don't think I've seen any of that blue fringing with my S-M-C copy....I'll re-check!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks people. Smile

I'll check the adapter. But it doesn't seem to be an issue with my other taks. Will check to make sure.

The fringeing was hard to induce actually. I can live with it.

The distortion doesn't bother me. I think the lens has interesting qualities and as I said the the centre is very sharp.

I like it Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antico wrote:
Great samples!

Thanks.Smile

I will try this on film next, where it really will be ultra wide, and post updated samples then.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to show you this lens on FF camera (Sony A850) I made a quick and dirty test picture with this lens (F8 at ISO 100):

#1 whole picture downsized to 1500 px wide:

#2 100% crop of corner:

#3 100% crop of center:

I confirm some shortcomings (as you already mentioned) in the corners which are clearly visible in picture #2.

However, IMHO the performance isn't too bad for such an old lens under those cloudy conditions.

#4 lens on camera:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks decent to me. Would be great to get some clear weather shots and architectural shots in.

I will definitely try this lens out a lot more and update with my own findings.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are some more FF pictures as requested (still quick and dirty):

#3 (clickable for larger view)

Looks far better now.

However, normally I prefer to use my Minolta AF 20/2.8 instead on my Sony A850. Wink
It's simply the better lens as apprx. 20 years younger.

BTW, my Super Takumar focuses also beyond infinity. Maybe it's also an adapter issue. I don't know.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiaming wrote:
...Focusing over infinity might be caused by a too thin adapter....

rudolfkremers wrote:
...the adapter. But it doesn't seem to be an issue with my other taks...

Accuracy of adapter thickness matters more for wider angle lenses. 50mm may focus perfect infinity at stop while 20mm may focus beyond infinity, if adapter is thinner but not too much.