Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to disassemble Tokina ATX 80-200 f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: How to disassemble Tokina ATX 80-200 f2.8 Reply with quote

I have a Tokina ATX SD 80-200 f2.8 manual focus lens. It has haze on one of the internal elements that I want to try to clean.

I can open the lens from the rear easily using a spanner, but the haze appears to be on one of the front elements. I can't figure how to remove the front element.

The name plate doesn't appear to pop off. I was hoping that was just a sticker and would expose a ring for a spanner wrench or a set of screws. However, I can pry or screw it out.

This is the only screw I can find near the front. It appears to be a set screw, but there is only one. My only other guess is that the whole top screws apart with the "break" located just below the red line. That would indicate you unscrew that single set screw and then unscrew the whole "top" including the red ring. However, I can't get this to come apart either.

Any help on how to remove the front element?
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: OH....MY....GOD! Reply with quote

This is really freaky.

My Canon FD>Micro 4/3 adapter arrived today, which I purchased specifically to use with my...wait for it....

Tokina ATX 80-200 f2.8

And guess what? There's some haze behind the FRONT ELEMENT that I'd like to get rid of. Looks to be the rear of the front element or the front of the one right behind it...nothing too 'deep', from the front.

So I, too, need help with this exact query. I'm hoping that one is ABLE to remove the elements from the front, as this would then be a snap. But I'm worried that unlike 'old school' lenses where the front retainer is removable w/a spanner, the front retainer on this lens might be permanent...you know, that the way they built the lens was from the rear of the lens, dropping in the front element first & then working backwards.

But I THINK that the retainer is indeed removable, but that they no longer need 'notches' in the ring to accept the spanner-wrench tips. Instead, they use maybe a rubber-coated disc that hugs the angled sides of the ring & spin it in using friction.

Of course, this is all conjecture...we'd love to learn what the facts are!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tokina still waits to be mount repaired + converted.
It was defect becaue it was fallen to the ground - with Canon body. I coudl remove the camera, but there are some repairs needed - haven´t done this the last ~10 years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson posted a video showing how:
http://forum.mflenses.com/tokina-atx-sd-80-200-2-8-fd-mount-t47466,start,30.html