Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Fast Rare lenses!!! f0.9 f1.8 f1.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Super Fast Rare lenses!!! f0.9 f1.8 f1.0 Reply with quote

Hi, I am new here and in search of info,

I am interested if there are any third party lenses that were made as specialty items.

I found one like the soligor 135mm f1.8

Is there anything like this made by others?
maybe a 100mm f1.0

does any one know of any other lens by a third party??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlander do a 50mm f1.1 Search on ebay. They are very good lenses!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey, nice prices too!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only want macro, I can offer some up to f0.75

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had that infamous 1.5/135 under the Pallas brand in m42 (most come as Vivitar).
Weights a ton though and very pricey for a third party lens.

Last edited by mkleywegt on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOF measures in fractions of a millimeter wide open at that sort of aperture, making pictures take on a "silk print" dreaminess. Don't know if I would want to use one of them on a regular basis

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, PhotoBub007,

first of all, welcome to the group of MF-addicts.

Could you explain what you mean by
Quote:
third party lenses that were made as specialty items
And why does the Soligor qualify as one?
I guess, you'll get many more qualified answers by the very knowledgable people in this group, if that was clearer.

Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Super Fast Rare lenses!!! f0.9 f1.8 f1.0 Reply with quote

PhotoBub007 wrote:

I am interested if there are any third party lenses that were made as specialty items.

maybe a 100mm f1.0

Super-Zoomatar 240/1.2
Zoomatar 180/1.3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

tease.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more tease, pleezze...?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haley wrote:
kds315* wrote:

tease.

I'd guess he is referring to lenses made for x-ray - 'Kawa' brand for one, and others - which can be held up to an SLR with about 6 inches of working distance and used as super soft macros.

DoF is so thin and being so close to the subject there really isn't anything in focus and everything else just fades quickly to a color from the work I've encountered done in this way.

I wish some enterprising lens maker (Samyang?) would capitalize on our interest in bokeh and make a manual 50/1 for the rest of us.

K.

EDIT - Klaus, those are quite psychedelic! We posted at the same time. please don't tempt me to buy another lens!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed former Xray machine lenses (most of them, not all) - I call them "monster lumen" lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Super Fast Rare lenses!!! f0.9 f1.8 f1.0 Reply with quote

[quote="Anu"]
PhotoBub007 wrote:

Super-Zoomatar 240/1.2
Zoomatar 180/1.3

Those sound crazy... I'd like to see some samples taken with these! Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low contrast images, not that great actually - a friend of mine owns one.

For special low light occasions still useful, see (google is great isn't it?):
http://blog.xuite.net/fdchen/lenses/6766463

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Super Fast Rare lenses!!! f0.9 f1.8 f1.0 Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
Super-Zoomatar 240/1.2
Zoomatar 180/1.3

Klaus is right, these are only for special occasions. Here is the 180mm F/1.3 lens in all its glory (old eBay pictures):

To help you figure out the size of this behemoth, look how tiny is the mount at the back of the lens!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Super Fast Rare lenses!!! f0.9 f1.8 f1.0 Reply with quote

PhotoBub007 wrote:

maybe a 100mm f1.0

I have a Wray 2" (50.8mm) f1.0...It has a very short registration distance so the only way to use it at infinity is on digital rangefinders like the NEX-7. I have used it for macro use on a DSLR.
The Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L is super fast too.
The Soligor 135mm f1.8 is actually just one of a number of different 135mm f1.8 lenses...plus there are at least 6 different optical designs in use for the various 135mm f1.8 lenses out there:

Plus I found Nikons patent for a 135mm f1.8 VR:

Last edited by DSG on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Fast Rare lenses!!! f0.9 f1.8 f1.0 Reply with quote

PhotoBub007 wrote:

I found one like the soligor 135mm f1.8 ??

Talking about the Soligor 135mm f1.8...After doing a lot of research it would seem that the latter Soligors optical design was probably only used in that lens and no other (except perhaps the Titan 135mm f1.8?).
I am basing this on examining the exterior design of the various 135mm f1.8 lenses.
It would appear that the optical design of the "Normal Spiratone" 135mm f1.8 was also used in the following 135mm f1.8 lenses:
Spiratone, Polaris, Raynox Polaris, Carena, Beroflex and Samigon (And possibly in some more that I don't know about yet).
The optically different "Spiratone Plura-Coat" version, made by Mitake, is also used in the following 135mm f1.8 lenses:
Spiratone Plura-Coat, Porst, Computar, Promura CP Hi-lux, Kenlock, Formula 5, Eyemik, Apollo, Accura, Varo, Vivitar and Weltblick (And again, possibly in some more that I don't know about yet).
The even more optically different Sigma XQ 135mm f1.8's optical design is only used in the Sigma XQ itself and the Sigmatel Multi-Scalematic 135mm f1.8...These were the only two of the previously mentioned lenses to be made by Sigma.
So who made the Spiratone, Polaris, Raynox Polaris, Carena, Beroflex and Samigon then?...As it certainly wasn't Sigma.
Sun Optical is a name bandied about a lot but since 1976 they have been a part of Goyo Optical. Tomioka is also in the running, as is Tamron...One clue that might might shed light on their maker is the name Raynox used on the Raynox Polaris version...Raynox products consist of various add-on camera lenses, like screw on teleconverters and wide angle adapter lenses so they have an optical pedigree. Also, Raynox is a trademark belonging to Yoshida Industries Ltd of Japan who have been around since 1963, long enough to account for the various lenses mentioned.
Any more guesses?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkleywegt wrote:
I once had that infamous 1.5/135 under the Pallas brand in m42 (most come as Vivitar).
Weights a ton though and very pricey for a third party lens.

I owned this same lens as a "Vivitar Professional" -- T-mount preset, built in 1968 if the S/N was any indication. Incredibly soft wide open and not much sharper even when stopped down. Weighed a ton. I owned it for about 10 years, finally sold it on eBay to a Japanese collector who paid good money for it.

DSG, thanks for all that data on the 135mm f/1.8. I suspected there were different formulas, but never knew for sure.

Y'all don't forget the Samyangs: 85/1.4, 35/1.4, 24/1.4, 14/2.8, 8/2.8, plus their mirror and refractor teles.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually go affordable

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/rodenstock-tv-lens-50mm-f075/?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:

I wish some enterprising lens maker (Samyang?) would capitalize on our interest in bokeh and make a manual 50/1 for the rest of us.

A fast 50mm Samyang is already announced

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
thePiRaTE!! wrote:

A fast 50mm Samyang is already announced

Isn't the new Samyang a 50mm f1.4? If so, then that isn't exactly fast. Fast at 50mm is f1.2 or faster.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f/1.2 is not fast - I have a special lens two stops faster from what I find on the internet Smile
But I need to make some tests and search further publications before I write much more.

On Facebook Samyang Asia wrote they work on a 50/1.2:
https://www.facebook.com/fotogears/posts/564542486909179?comment_id=101386083&notif_t=feed_comment
probably for 2014.

And KMZ Zenit showed a fast 50mm f/1.2 prototype on the Photokina 2012.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenit made a 160mm f/1.3 lens but it might be optimised for infra-red work - I dunno:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290729413539

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast (>f/1.2) lenses that I have:

1. Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 50/0.95, C-mount almost covers APS-C sensor wide open
2. Som Berthiot Cinor 25/0.95, C-mount, vignettes on APS-C sensor, will probably cover MFT sensor
3. Kern Macro-Switar 26/1.1, C-mount, vignettes heavily on APS-C sensor, will cover Nikon 1 sensor
4. SLR Magic Hyperprime Cine 50mm T0.95 M-mount - full frame

They are all very special lenses. I can post some samples if people are interested.