Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OM Wide angle suggestions.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: OM Wide angle suggestions. Reply with quote

I recently purchased a OM-EF adapter for an inherited OM lens. It was a Kiron 35-135mm (macro?). It is a lens I don't really understand, it had lovely build quality but it didn't really suit my style. Anyway I stumbled onto someone selling a 28mm f2.8 zuiko for about £60 and suddenly realised I could use the mount for the classic wide angle primes. I've narrowed it down to either the zuiko or a kiron 28mm f2 which is a little more expensive. How do these lenses compare? Is the kiron better?

Also does anyone have some experience with the 35-135mm Kiron, I would love to know what you think of it.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you won't miss with zuiko lens and it's smaller than kiron

here you can see samples i made with kiron on olympus e-520
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-63-kiron-28mm-2-t41483.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the OM.
My Vivitar f2/28mm made by Kiron is ok, but sharpness at wide apertures is not that good and I don't like the colors it renders, same is true for the Vivitar by Kiron f2/24mm . Ok, I know many people say that one could set that right in PPing, but I never had success.
you can see my samples here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157622961763081/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Another option..... Reply with quote

Got an Olympus OM body that doesn't kind of work with a 50/1.8 Zuiko and this...for $10
This is the version made by Komine...well made...very smooth focusing...and accurate

Full Frame, wide open (at 2.8 on 30D) Sharpened to 3 in DPP, no USM after conversion

100% crop (usm 200/2/0)

Very impressive....all sliders in DPP were set to null and the colors are accurate with no additional PP....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OM Zuiko 28mm f2.8 is an absolute gem of a lens. Excellent performance even wide open. £60 is way too much though. I sold a lovely example on ebay recently and it went for only £37. They are quite common and so should not fetch really high prices. As ever, best to go with later versions for better coatings.

The Kiron 28mm f2 is pretty soft wide open and even at f2.8 isn't great. It won't match the Zuiko wide open until it is stopped down to f4.

I'd go for the Zuiko any day.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Looks like I'll be waiting for a good deal on a zuiko f2.8.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slower Zuikos f3.5 , f2.8 generally go affordable may better than Kiron , but difference is little I met many great Kiron, Vivitar branded lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 which I love. It's really cheap too. I've heard a lot of people say though that it's better than the f/2.8 version (not in terms of flare, but in terms of optical quality)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Zuiko 28mm F2.8 that was nothing special. It was one of my 1st two manual lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I had a Zuiko 28mm F2.8 that was nothing special. It was one of my 1st two manual lenses.

I've had two copies and both were very sharp wide open. Measured on a lens chart, they can out-resolve the sensor of my EPL1 even at f2.8 in the centre. Edge performance on 4/3 is also superb wide open. Of course, it is a 35mm lens so one may expect as much. But the Kiron 28mm f2 gets really very soft (wide open) at the edges even on 4/3.

Of course, there is more to a good lens then sharpness. I do like the rendering and colours of the Zuiko as well. It is also a small lens , with good min focus distance and overall very nice handling. That is just my opinion of course.

The shots below were all taken at f2.8 with the Oly E-M5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TijmenDal wrote:
I got a Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 which I love. It's really cheap too. I've heard a lot of people say though that it's better than the f/2.8 version (not in terms of flare, but in terms of optical quality)

I've never tried the f3.5 version so I can't make a definitive statement. But, I can believe that the f3.5 can have better ultimate sharpness.

I recently tested a load of my lenses against a lens chart set to fill the image frame so I could compare the edge and centre sharpness. I was surprised to find the the Zuiko 50mm f1.8 had better ultimate sharpness (i.e. stopped down) than the Zuiko 50mm f1.4. The 50mm f1.4 is easily the best of the all 50mm f1.4 lens that I have wide open, but the sharpness doesn't improve as much when stopped down as say the Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.4. The latter lens is rather soft wide open but becomes super-sharp at f4; the Zuiko is much better at faster apertures.

I guess that the optical design of the Zuiko is optimised to give good performance wide open, with the compromise being that stopped down performance doesn't reach such high levels. i am talking details revealed in a lens chart though; in practice the difference between the Zuiko 50mm f1.4 and f1.8 at f8 (say) is probably not noticeable.