Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Stuck aperture
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Stuck aperture Reply with quote

I'm currently trying to fix the stuck aperture of an Hanimex 135mm, lighter gaz seems to be of limited effect, does someone try to use WD40 for that, or any other liquid?
I fear to completely unassemble the blades!
Thanks

Jean Claude

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck aperture Reply with quote

jclaude wrote:
I'm currently trying to fix the stuck aperture of an Hanimex 135mm, lighter gaz seems to be of limited effect, does someone try to use WD40 for that, or any other liquid?
I fear to completely unassemble the blades!
Thanks

Jean Claude

Well I wouldn't go beyond lighter fuel for a quick fix, if that doesn't work then it's not always necessary to take the blades apart but just clean the the whole assembly in:- well some say hot soapy water others say lighter fuel.

Last edited by Excalibur on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello J-C

Never, EVER, use WD40!! It might have a good effect to begin with, but after a short time the blades will become totally stuck. This have been learned through bitter experience! Smile

The blades need to be completely clean and dry. Keep applying the lighter fuel and working the blades at the same time and use a cool hairdryer to dry them. It requires a lot of time and patience!

If you can see how to remove the complete aperture assembly without dismantling it, to work on the other side, that might have some success.

Sometmes the springs which activate the blades and the mechanism can become stretched and weak. Also the mechanism might need cleaning/lubrication. Either of these can affect the speed of the blade movement too.

Remember - patience is the word! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use sometimes WD 40 - but only if screws are corroded that I can not open them. For the application I use cotton swapy - don´t even think about using the spray.
And after I open the screws I have to clean very much to get all WD 40 away.

To use WD 40 without planning to open all seems very difficult, it spreads around!

For stuck or slow iris blades I use isopropanol alcohol. Iris need no grease or oil!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your replies, I will avoid WD40 and continue with lighter fuel, some more time!

Jean Claude