Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Isco Göttingen BEROLINA-WESTROMAT 35mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Isco Göttingen BEROLINA-WESTROMAT 35mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Very handsome looking lens. Please educate me about this lens:

Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Isco Göttingen BEROLINA-WESTROMAT 35mm f2.8 Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Very handsome looking lens. Please educate me about this lens:

Click here to see on Ebay.de

Is it the same as in this thread? Not same finish, but perhaps optical design is?

http://forum.mflenses.com/isco-goettingen-westramat-35-2-8-edixa-t42046.html

/T

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently traded this lens in M42 mount for the Westron version in M42 mount. No difference that I could see other than the name. And my new one is in better shape.

I don,t know if it would apply to your use of this lens but the rear of the lens protrudes into the camera body enough to interfere with the mirror on some cameras. I have a friend with a pentax K7 and it hit his mirror at infinity. It does not hit the mirror on my Pentax Kx However it does hit the mirror on my H3v which really shocked me when I tried it because mine is the later version made to accept the Tak 50/1.4.

I really like this lens. It's a preset lens which i prefer and it works very well on my Kx. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir but a lens hood is a very good thing with this one Smile

I know when I was young Isco was the cheap end of glass but over the years I have become quite fond of some of there offerings and this is one of the ones I really like.

Again this may notapply to you as you are looking at a lens in Exacta mount so you may have different intentions.

Eric

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exakta version is most surely not going to be mountable on DSLR such as Canon, Nikon, Pentax due to position of pad.
But probably mountable on all evil cameras since they don't have pentaprism.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just digging around my Laptop and this is one I know is wide open

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Thanks folks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erkie wrote:

I don,t know if it would apply to your use of this lens but the rear of the lens protrudes into the camera body enough to interfere with the mirror on some cameras. I have a friend with a pentax K7 and it hit his mirror at infinity. It does not hit the mirror on my Pentax Kx However it does hit the mirror on my H3v which really shocked me when I tried it because mine is the later version made to accept the Tak 50/1.4.Eric

I think this lens in M42 was originally meant for the Edixa cameras which had smaller mirrors than the Pentax family, hence it catching the mirror on the H3v. What is surprising is that it does the same on the K7.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
erkie wrote:

I don,t know if it would apply to your use of this lens but the rear of the lens protrudes into the camera body enough to interfere with the mirror on some cameras. I have a friend with a pentax K7 and it hit his mirror at infinity. It does not hit the mirror on my Pentax Kx However it does hit the mirror on my H3v which really shocked me when I tried it because mine is the later version made to accept the Tak 50/1.4.Eric

I think this lens in M42 was originally meant for the Edixa cameras which had smaller mirrors than the Pentax family, hence it catching the mirror on the H3v. What is surprising is that it does the same on the K7.

I was a bit surprised as well. I figured all pentax dslrs had pretty much the same mirror dimensions. I think some of them may have been intended for Praktica as well. My FX3 came with a 50mm Westanar. The cheapest combo at the time I'm sure Smile

Eric

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my Westromat because it caught the mirror at infinity. I don't think the results were all that impressive either from memory.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
I sold my Westromat because it caught the mirror at infinity. I don't think the results were all that impressive either from memory.

I was one of the ones bidding on it Smile Which body did yours strike the mirror on ?

Eric

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, K20D, wasn't keen to try it on the K5. From memory I think I mentioned the catch mirror issue in the listing. And I do remember the correspondence with you when selling the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
Eric, K20D, wasn't keen to try it on the K5. From memory I think I mentioned the catch mirror issue in the listing. And I do remember the correspondence with you when selling the lens.

I know you mentioned the mirror strike in our correspondence. That was the reason I measure the clearances on my Kx when I finally got a copy at I ended up with a rather rugged looking copy but upgraded recently to the Westron. I also came into a 35/3.5 but the diaphram was toast.

I like them a lot. But in fairness I have to admit that my lenses fall into two categories. Lenses that will get the job done in any conditions and lenses that are a bit more creative but require familiarity with their optical shortcomings ( It's usually those shortcomings that give something different and special, at least for me ) The Isco 35s are very low contrast and flare extremely easily but do nice things for me if I pay attention to what they do and don't like. When used with off camera flash the contrast jumps greatly . But I wouldn't try a backlit landscape shot in the woods though. Smile

Eric