Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina 80-200mm F4.5 (M42)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Tokina 80-200mm F4.5 (M42) Reply with quote

RMC Tokina 80-200mm F4.5 serial #8098312

Hey guys. I just picked this lens up at my local op shop...
Anybody have any experience with this lens?

I'll post some pics up when I get some time Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tokina 80-200mm F4.5 (M42) Reply with quote

enliten wrote:
RMC Tokina 80-200mm F4.5 serial #8098312

Hey guys. I just picked this lens up at my local op shop...
Anybody have any experience with this lens?

I'll post some pics up when I get some time Smile

Ah just checked mine and it's Tokina 80-200mm RMC "F4" .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens in Nikon mount, very solidly built, all-metal, aperture is stuck so can only shoot it wide open so I only briefly tested it but I found it to be rather good at f4.5, sharp and with good contrast and CA control for a zoom lens, I am tempted to try to fix it as it seemed a good one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this lens and it's a great lens, especially for a zoom. I've developed a bit of a thing for Tokina lenses and this one has the quality and performance I love from Tokina, sharp from wide open with great, natural colour straight out of the camera. It also has a close focus feature which is really nice. It's not too big and bulky either, I really like the size.

I didn't get mine that long ago and haven't really used it a lot so far but I really like it. Here are a few of my favourite photos with it so far.

Coincidentally, I was just about to pop mine on my camera and take a walk around the neighbourhood to snap a few photos of the last of the fall colour.

Enjoy your lens! I hope that your experiences with it are as positive as mine have been so far.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images heartcat.

I have a Tokina 35-105 that is equally impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that Tokina 80-200/4.5 look like this ?

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-c-d-80-200-4-5-pk-competition-for-vivitar-series-1-t10528,highlight,%2Bsoligor+%2Bc+%2Bd.html

I've been wondering who made mine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ron. I had been watching for a 35-105mm, but ended up with a 35-70mm. I think the greater focal range would have been preferable and a better walkaround length. I'd love to see some samples from it some time. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heartcat wrote:
Thank you, Ron. I had been watching for a 35-105mm, but ended up with a 35-70mm. I think the greater focal range would have been preferable and a better walkaround length. I'd love to see some samples from it some time. Smile

I took the 35-105/3.5-4.3 close focus on vacation this year as my walk-about.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Ron! Great shots, great performer as I expected it would be.

I love that first one of the whale! What an amazing sight that must have been to see. Not to take this thread too far off course, lol, but where was it you went on vacation? I see you live north of TO. Fellow Canuck here by the way, Hamilton area.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took a bus tour to Cape Cod.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Does that Tokina 80-200/4.5 look like this ?

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-c-d-80-200-4-5-pk-competition-for-vivitar-series-1-t10528,highlight,%2Bsoligor+%2Bc+%2Bd.html

I've been wondering who made mine.

It looks very similar... Mine has a 52mm diameter (lenscappy thing), correct me if I'm wrong but yours says 55....
The printing on the side of the lens looks a little different as does the texture on the zoom / focus barrel.

I'll post some pics when I get the time, I'm going to try and take the lens out today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: finally took some shots Reply with quote

So I finally got around to taking the lens out...
I wasn't really impressed with it, although I was hand holding... and shooting mostly wide open (I had some setting wrong on my camera I guess, it kept overexposing images when I stepped the aperture down.)

First image is of a damsel fly at 200mm

Same image 100% crop

100% crop of a tiny grass hopper which I just missed the focus on.

At 80mm

At 200mm

I uploaded these two just because I like them, they're nothing special though.

It's a fun little lens, but (the way I use it) doesn't seem to be particularly good quality.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: finally took some shots Reply with quote

enliten wrote:

First image is of a damsel fly at 200mm

That is actually a dragonfly Smile This image seems to have a purple tint - I have found that with some old lenses I get such tint unless I set WB manually - my theory is that something about the coatings is confusing the camera AWB.

Do you have image stabilization in your camera body? Shooting 200mm handheld without IS can be tricky - part of the lack of sharpness could be due just to shake.

The other images are ok and the butterfly looks good - the lens appears to be sharp in that shot.

Try it a bit longer - it takes some time to figure out how to best use a new lens. Do post more results here when you have them!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have IS in body, I shoot with a canon 7d...

next time I take it out I'll try with a tripod and see how I go Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results are not what I would have expected from that lens, based on my personal experiences, and I shoot hand held and have used the lens wide open at the 200mm end. Although I suppose there could be a quality issue with individual lenses produced. The one of the butterfly does look pretty good though, so it could be a matter of not getting the exposure right and of hand shake.

What was your shutter speed on the photos taken at 200mm? I find that in general trying to keep the shutter speed at least double the focal length of the lens helps to get crisper shots.

Hopefully using a tripod or just getting more experience with the lens will yield better results for you.