Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

next camera body that would allow me to learn flash
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: next camera body that would allow me to learn flash Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am a user of a nex-f3 body and I think I have reached the time that the body delays me considerably.

There are two major problems that I would like to tackle and I need advice

1. As this was the introductory model, it has only very few buttons and thus I can not change settings fast... Change metering mode, focus point, adjust focusing, change iso, and so one these settings need time and sometimes I have to dwell deep in the menu

2. It does not have a hotshot for flash.. okay technically it has but I use it for the external viewfinder which I think is essential for composing. The other problem is that flash sync speed is limited to 1/160 which If I am not wrong it would not be enough for high speed flash sync photography.

The major problem is that I do have a considerable selection of emount lenses and If I decide to change the system I would have to sell them. I would like to avoid any such hassle though as I am very busy for looking for byers.

I know there is the a6000 but I am not sure how usable the body is. How good it can hold a sb-80 Nikon flash and how easy you can change configuration.

If you like share your thoughts
Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A6000 is a very usable body, I have not used anything else for serious photography since getting it. The EVF, the built in flash and the hot shoe are positive pluses. The EVF is better than any I've seen and the image is larger than my Nikon D3200 which seems poky (small) in comparison.

On the A6000 you can customise a couple of buttons to do what you want them to do. The PSAM etc is now a dial on top, the on off switch is on the front round the shutter release where the forefinger rests. It has multiple frame and self timer on the round button, plus ISO, exposure comp. A very usable camera. I had to get used to it after using the NEX 5, its similar but not the same.

It will hold your Nikon flash, but you may be better with a flash bracket.

All cameras will have some sort of menu driven controls that you won't get used to. My Pentax K10d has buttons for everything, problem there is knowing which one it is, menus are easier sometime.

All interchangeable lens cameras have a limited shutter speed with flash, your quoted 1/160th is quite high compared to some. Only a camera with a between-the-lens shutter will go higher. Then we're talking A6000 price for a film camera or the price of a mid range Mercedes for a digital one.

What is high speed flash sync photography? Not heard that one.

What flash sync speed do you think this photo was taken at? Its a crossbow bolt smashing through a coffee jar.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the answer.. I guess then you think for my case the a6000 is the best choice....
High speed flash.. I meant that your body can shoot lets say 1/500 with a flash in sync.

What is the flash bracketing? I think one of my basic needs now is to have a camera that allows me to play a lot with the flash and the flash s modifiers (add something to the flash to make the light softer)... I guess then I would look funny with such a small body and something "huge" over it (and well major problem is not how I would look like but mostly if then the body would turn really unbalanced)

Thanks for answerig

Alex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A6000 is a great camera, a friend of mine with a mid range Nikon DSLR of some sort keeps picking my A6000 up and playing around with it, then he says "oh...it does ( insert function here Wink ) as well" - I think he's going to buy one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a NEX-6 (predecessor of A6000, same size) and sometimes use it with a full size flash. It's not really that bad in terms of balance. Yes, it is a little top heavy, but nothing extreme.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using old flash, or off brand flash, on any modern camera the trigger voltage must be checked, some flash units can push out over 200 volts across the switch, which was OK on old cameras with a mechanical switch - but could easily burn out switching done by a microprocessor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want 1/500th flash sync speed? we managed without it for decades in the film days and still do now in the digital age. If it is to do fill-in flash in daylight, variable control can be used by adjusting the ISO. Have you figured out the flash sync speed of my photo? Take a wild guess.

Lloydy mentioned trigger voltage, with flashes designed for digital cameras thats no problem, but any pre-digital ones must be checked. What is the make and model of yours? I'll look for you and report back with a link to a site.

Flash bracketing and flash bracket are two Totally different things.

Flash bracketing is taking a photo at the recommended aperture, then +1 and -1, getting a lighter and darker image respectively. You then choose which is best for your purpose.

A flash bracket is a device that screws on to the bottom of the camera allowing you to use the flash off camera. You will need a lead and hot shoe adapter. Something like this...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one from ebay and not sure if it is sturdy enough.
I wonder if the tripod screw at the camera might break if I plugin my flash and some modifiers ...

Lets see