Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Gold 400 strange colors
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Kodak Gold 400 strange colors Reply with quote

A few months ago I bought a second Nikon FE but didn't get round to testing it until last weekend. The camera worked perfectly but the film I used (Kodak Gold 400) produced a lot of strange tinted scans. I tried to fix some in photoshop but wasn't successful. Weather was cloudy but bright.

Converted a couple to b&w. I kind of like these conversions.

Thanks for looking.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bw ones look pretty good but the colors are indeed off. Stored at wrong temperatures or a problem in the lab while developing??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why the colors are strange. I tried to fix them in photoshop but couldn't get them looking right. I've used this lab a few times before and they have always been pretty good. Here are a few more from the roll. These are a little better. Unfortunately I missed critical focus on the miko-san portrait.

And that was the first Big Mac I've had for many, many years (I quite enjoyed it Embarassed).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you got the shots and they are very nice, but unless the camera's exposure meter is way out, it's usually bad film, or bad development and /or scanning

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, the 3D you got in #1 is difficult to get in digital
colors of #1#2 are nice, no need to fix the small cast
#3 is too cold
in photoshop open the image/adjustment/curves pick the gray tools and click on a gray area
or use image/adjustment/variations

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for bad development I got similar results many times until I did develop my own films. This is finger print of overused chemical.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys.

Nice edit Poilu. I'll try that method.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is expired and/or poorly stored film. I've had similar results recent when scanning Kodak safety film developed back in the 70s. Also, I recently took five various rolls of color film to CVS for developing. I had similar results where some on some rolls were exceedingly cool or otherwise off. Other rolls were fine. All on the same day. So I vote old or bad film, especially if the film was in the camera (was it?) because that seems to degrade film's red layer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get prints or just scanned? I say that as my scans always look poor without colour correction in PS; odd cast and lack of vibrancy) but prints from the same lab look amazing. My v500 cannot match the prints.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty sure the film is fine. It's just been on the shelf in the store (exp date 6/2013). Probably the lab or my scanning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you are lucky that the colours are off on all the area of the picture. I have a few rolls from 1996 that have only some areas in the frame wich have the colours toned in magenta or red. Nice that edit method of poilu .I hope you can restore your pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poorly stored film often produces flaws only in parts of a frame.
So I'd say a crappy lab. Well, tell me about it! Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand all this discussion
when I was scanning film, I didn't had auto and magic button
it was normal to manually balance the colors
usually I applied the same setting to the whole roll
seems that new generation are used to the autolevel and autocolor
autocolor is based on the fact that a 'average' picture have the same average of red, green, blue
but 1% of the pics are not 'average' and by averaging the colors, the software render bad colors
nothing to do with bad film or bad lab