Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

GOI MC Telegoir K 2.8/200mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: GOI MC Telegoir K 2.8/200mm Reply with quote

Came to me by coincidence when checking out a fleamarket, had that in the back of my head somehow and bought it
as it was a good price, and f2.8/200mm is very nice to use focal length for me (like my CZJ 2.8/200mm Sonnar).

And now I find out that it seems to be a rather rare prototype lens a friend of mine and member here told me,
which hasn't been made often, computed in 1975 and made by GOI in St. Petersburg, the Russian State Optical Institute!

It has Pentax-K bajonet mount and supposedly a 7e/6g lens design (which sounds rather exciting) - corr: its is 8e/5g.

Bit hard to find some info about it, but here is one source: http://www.photohistory.ru/index.php?pid=1207248189055283

My lens looks like this:

It has quite a nice modern multicoating (my lens is made 1991):

Here now a size and look comparision with the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar electric f2.8 200mm, to show how compact it is:

As soon as the weather is better, I will get some pictures and add them here....

Last edited by kds315* on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:50 am; edited 6 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took a few shots, was after rain, already getting dark...
All shot at f2.8

Quite sharp it is, snappy and very smooth focusing, auto aperture, high contrast images, CA visible but manageable.

Last edited by kds315* on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks more than decent! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Wow, looks more than decent! Like 1 small

I'm so far quite pleased with it!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite excellent Klaus.
I can see why you are pleased with it
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Quite excellent Klaus.
I can see why you are pleased with it
Tom

Yes indeed! Thanks Tom, I'm hoping for better weather though,
but seems like the coming week will see only rain...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats
Nice lens. The better weather will come sooner or later! Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here now a side-a-side comparision with the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar electric f2.8/200mm.
[if you are able to view crosseye stereo, it is very easy to compare images..].

Comparison GOI Telegoir (left) vs CZJ Sonnar 200mm (right):

I conclude the Telegoir is copy of the Sonnar, very sharp already wide open (all tests were done at f2.8 ),
very creamy bokeh, excellent contrast and color (Telegoir is a little warmer), CA nearly as good as the
Sonnar (just a little more cyan OOF). Focal lengths are nearly identical. Both have a 7-blade iris.

BUT - Weight: Telegoir 0.750 kilograms - Sonnar 1.130 kilograms (51% more).
Closest focus: Telegoir 1.5 meters - Sonnar 2.2 meters.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a little late sunshine today.... all f2.8

(shot through tree branches ...)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice little snag indeed--I'm going to try and get as lucky as you were @ finding one. jt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results! Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good results, a nice lens indeed!
Congrats

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

About the Telegoir 2.8/200 lens design:

I carefully re-checked the reflections, it is 10 reflections. Also was digging deeper in russian sources and found
the lens design, it is 8e/5g which actually confirms 10 strong reflections (5 groups = 10 surfaces to air)

It looks like this:

So in comparison to the CZJ Sonnar it seems the design is some advanced / modified form of it:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens. More pictures please Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It´s interesting to make some competitor to Sonnar 200/2.8. By my opinion that Sonnars, based on my CZJ MC 180/2.8 copy, which has creamy and nice bokeh, can be hardly beaten. But in other way more elements can make some changes in rendering definitelly. But nice pice of russian glass, indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldMark wrote:
Very nice lens. More pictures please Smile

Here is the album I made for it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157677400225778

spleenone wrote:
It´s interesting to make some competitor to Sonnar 200/2.8. By my opinion that Sonnars, based on my CZJ MC 180/2.8 copy, which has creamy and nice bokeh, can be hardly beaten. But in other way more elements can make some changes in rendering definitelly. But nice pice of russian glass, indeed.

Yep, this is why I compared it with my CZJ Sonnar electric 2.8/200mm which I like a lot for ist sharpness, contrast and bokeh!

The comparision album is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157675284851627

In short they are both very similar, extremely similar actually, except that the Telgoir has just a little more pronounced CA, but it has a much smaller focus shift and does not need an IR mark, as the focus point is the same! And it is much lighter and has a better close focus distance (MFD) of just 1.5 meters.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Yep, this is why I compared it with my CZJ Sonnar electric 2.8/200mm which I like a lot for ist sharpness, contrast and bokeh!

The comparision album is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157675284851627

In short they are both very similar, extremely similar actually, except that the Telgoir has just a little more pronounced CA, but it has a much smaller focus shift and does not need an IR mark, as the focus point is the same! And it is much lighter and has a better close focus distance (MFD) of just 1.5 meters.

I would be then interested for its IR performence or hot spot visibility. Well, 1.5 MFD is quite good. I using for my CZJ MC Sonnar 180/2.8 with my P6TL one something like macro ring in need of closer portrait. Ofcourse need to correct exposure. Takes some light. Saw your test pics on flickr, too.
Where was that times with Canon nFD 200/2.8 which has same 1.5m MFD and IF. Real piece of craftmanship. Not regreting that I passed it by but made with that some good photos and really enjoying shooting with that. Also recommending it for other FD users.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I would be then interested for its IR performence or hot spot visibility. Well, 1.5 MFD is quite good. I using for my CZJ MC Sonnar 180/2.8 with my P6TL one something like macro ring in need of closer portrait. Ofcourse need to correct exposure. Takes some light. Saw your test pics on flickr, too.
Where was that times with Canon nFD 200/2.8 which has same 1.5m MFD and IF. Real piece of craftmanship. Not regreting that I passed it by but made with that some good photos and really enjoying shooting with that. Also recommending it for other FD users.

Wrote a BLOG entry about that; here you go: http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2019/01/russian-f28-200mm-prototype-lens-for_8.html

VIS - IR, difference is just about 1% only (B+W 092 filter, 695nm):

Last edited by kds315* on Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfhansen wrote:
Very nice results!

Thanks Wolfgang!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Wrote a BLOG entry about that; here you go: http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2019/01/russian-f28-200mm-prototype-lens-for_8.html

Thanks. Surprisingly good. Looks promising. So it only need to focus in visible put on IR filter and shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spleenone wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Thanks. Surprisingly good. Looks promising. So it only need to focus in visible put on IR filter and shoot.

Yes, this is exactly what I did, with B+W 092 IR filter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A study of Tulips ....

#1 f2.8

#2 f8

Pretty amazing this lens already fully open at f2.8