Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 vs. Leica Summilux ASPH 50/1.4 Test!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Zeiss ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 vs. Leica Summilux ASPH 50/1.4 Test! Reply with quote

I finally had chance to take some of my new(er) lenses out on a proper location shoot yesterday together with two new models. We met in London and I decided to pack the following gear:

Voigtlander Bessa R3A + Leica Summicron 50mm f2 (samples to follow once film roll finished)(to test Leica M9 vs. 35mm film)

Leica M9 + Leica Summilux ASPH 50/1.4, Zeiss ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 C, Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 ASPH ii

I wanted to have a shoot out Leica vs. Zeiss 50s.

After an amazing day I picked from thumbnails 2 photos that immediately stood out. I checked the EXIF and they were both taken with the Zeiss ZM Sonnar.

Score so far.. Zeiss 2: Leica 0!

Zeiss ZM Street Portraits, London:

London Street Photography by MatthewOsbornePhotography_, on Flickr

--

Zeiss ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 Portrait by MatthewOsbornePhotography_, on Flickr

I will keep the scoring going and post full results on my blog.

Have a great weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning Shocked Love the image framing too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic images as always Matthew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man love both but first one a bit more Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first one is just amazing! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome samples! Did you shoot wide open?
I had both latest Summicron-M and ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 and for my taste the Summicron-M was a little better. The ZM Sonnar is a dream lens anyway, I'm curious about your analog results!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Awesome samples! Did you shoot wide open?
I had both latest Summicron-M and ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 and for my taste the Summicron-M was a little better. The ZM Sonnar is a dream lens anyway, I'm curious about your analog results!

Thanks, yes most of the day including the first shot was shot wide open however the second photo was stopped down to maybe f4 as I wanted to take photos while walking so needed a great DOF to work with. In the second shot i was walking backwards while taking to get the motion in models hair and natural expression.

I'm looking forward to the Cron results too! I'll take the Cron out on the M9 for the next shoot.

To be fair to the Leica Summilux ASPH 50 it is very sharp shot at infinity. Here is a sample at f8 I think. As you can see the DOF was still not great enough to have the model fully in focus.

Leica Summilux ASPH by MatthewOsbornePhotography_, on Flickr

and another Zeiss Sonnar shot - here available light night portrait @f1.5

Zeiss ZM Sonnar Night Portrait by MatthewOsbornePhotography_, on Flickr

So 3:1 to Zeiss so far!

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss for president~!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant pictures, my compliments!