Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best zoom lens (short lengths) for NEX?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Best zoom lens (short lengths) for NEX? Reply with quote

Hi folks

I'm looking for a really good short zoom for use on my NEX, something that goes down to 28mm or even wider, which will probably mean a 28-70.

I'm thinking that Minolta MD might be the way to go, isn't the MD f4 28-70 the lens that was also sold by Leica?

To give you an idea of the level of IQ I seek, it has to come fairly close the quality of the shorter primes in my NEX kit such as Hexanon 3.5/28, Hexanon 1.7/50, Panagor 2.5/35, Tokina 3.5/17, all of which are truly excellent optics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I do not think you can hope to compare a zoom legacy with a prime.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected that was the case, I just want the best zoom I can find without spending vario-sonnar or leitz money.

Anyone got any experience of the canon FD f4 28-85?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't look old wide zooms , they are usually not good, step instead one or two and angle will be change also.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is my philosophy - zoom with the feet, hence I usually carry with me a 17, 28, 50 and 135, those cover all bases for me really on the NEX, I just feel like owning a really good zoom for times when I just want to have the camera and one lens instead of carrying a bag or filling my pockets with lenses.

I just remembered I have the Hexanon 28-135 to try out, it might be good, Konica design, Tokina built, but it's a big, heavy thing, I was hoping for something quite small and compact.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Best zoom lens (short lengths) for NEX? Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hi folks

I'm looking for a really good short zoom for use on my NEX, something that goes down to 28mm or even wider, which will probably mean a 28-70.

I'm thinking that Minolta MD might be the way to go, isn't the MD f4 28-70 the lens that was also sold by Leica?

To give you an idea of the level of IQ I seek, it has to come fairly close the quality of the shorter primes in my NEX kit such as Hexanon 3.5/28, Hexanon 1.7/50, Panagor 2.5/35, Tokina 3.5/17, all of which are truly excellent optics.

The MD 35-70 3.5 was the one also sold by Leica. The Minolta Md 28-70 3.5-4.8 was made by Cosina which is a pretty decent lens also.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good is the MD 3.5 35-70? I'm guessing it must be pretty good if Leica sold it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
How good is the MD 3.5 35-70? I'm guessing it must be pretty good if Leica sold it.

I have posted here some images with this Leica lens, but on a FF Nikon. But it is also heavy with a NEX, so no lightweigt. For me it has very good 3D capabilities. What is with a Nikkor 4/25-50. Have read that this one is not bad.

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need a manual zoom for Nex?.
I guess you can find a second hand kit zoom in good condition .. which will be better and lighter .. and on last place AF:)

Btw there is a 4/24-50 Minolta for sale here but i suspect it will be heavy and 77 Eur is not exactly cheap.
You can see it in the first link here: http://forum.mflenses.com/rokkor-and-mir-t43960.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP 28-80 and 35-80 are very good.

Contax Vario-Sonnar 35-70mm is best in my opinion:

http://forum.mflenses.com/yosemite-impressions-colour-lots-of-photos-t43971.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Canon EOS I used Tokina 35-70/4 RMC which is very sharp, but I sold it for different reason
On NEX I have minolta 35-70/3,5 rokkor, really satisfied with it, which rather stiff on zooming. very sharp on 1 stepped down, then my friend gave me Tamron 28-70/3,5-4,5. Now this is the lens I use most. it has macro funtion, wide enough

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best zoom lens for the NEX is the Sony SEL 18-55 OS, I have to say.
Manual zoom lenses are not fun on an NEX, IMHO. In most cases you have two rings, one focus and one to change FL. That is OK if you shoot with an SLR, but on an NEX it is a nuisance.
There are some zoom lenses with only one ring ("one-touch") but those are mostly too big to be of great use on an NEX.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta 24-35mm f/3.5 (285g) may be a better match for the NEX than the 24-50mm f/4 (390g).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also dont forget the greatly under appreciated olympus 35-70 F4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do like my Nikkor 3.5/28-50mm. It`s tiny and if I don't need the speed I don't bother to take a prime lens for my F3. Only problem might be the availability since there are not much around. The dedicated lens hood is even more rare.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot the Tamron SP 24-48mm as well, although as LucisPictor stated, it might not be easy to use a two touch lens on a Nex.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with the non-variable aperature zooms wide open. I have a Pentax SMC-A 35-70/4 I'm very fond of. Also the previously mentioned Minolta MD Rokkor 35-70/3.5. I've seen some knockout results from the Yashica ML 35-70/3.5, almost certainly based on the Contax 35-70/3.4. The Yashica is a very rare lens.

Also if you want to spend a bit more, Canon made an excellent 24-35 FD L lens that was fairly light.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica sounds interesting as I already have a few C/Y fittings lenses including some Yashica MLs.

The Yashica i see for sale on ebay often is the 28-80mm f3.9-4.9.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonedes wrote:
I've seen some knockout results from the Yashica ML 35-70/3.5, almost certainly based on the Contax 35-70/3.4. The Yashica is a very rare lens.

Why would you think that? We've seen time and time again that Yashica and Contax used different designs for their lenses. Some of the primes were similar, but not the same and results were certainly different.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion of the Yashica 35-70/3.5 is based on photos I've seen online. Of course I can't say for sure since I don't know the lens's formula, that it is truly based on the Contax. However, since the Yashica is so rare, it's better that I retract this statement and find a copy so I can surely keep this secret to myself Idea Razz

Here are some particularly fine efforts of the Yashica:
http://www.pbase.com/gummiebear/yashica_ml_3570mm_f35

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonedes wrote:
My opinion of the Yashica 35-70/3.5 is based on photos I've seen online. Of course I can't say for sure since I don't know the lens's formula, that it is truly based on the Contax. However, since the Yashica is so rare, it's better that I retract this statement and find a copy so I can surely keep this secret to myself Idea Razz

Here are some particularly fine efforts of the Yashica:
http://www.pbase.com/gummiebear/yashica_ml_3570mm_f35

Fair enough Smile I would like to get an ML lens to compare directly as those samples, whilst nice pictures, are too small to tell us a lot about the lens. What I can see though is some visible purple fringing would I don't recognise from the Zeiss.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this ML zoom is a rare one, here is its optical scheme:

The above ML zoom was discontinued when C/Y vario-sonnar 3.4/35-70 was introduced,
so Zeiss's design was improved upon Yashica's ML zoom 3.5/35-70, since their optical
schemes are very close as you can see.

FYI: for Zeiss vario-sonnar 3.4/35-70
see > http://homepage18.seed.net.tw/web@5/dyhsu/camera/3570mtf.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am certainly not an expert on this, however I can honestly not see why the Zeiss is descendant from the Yashica?
I see no more similarity between the yashica and the zeiss than for instance the yashica and a tamron sp 35-80, which seem to have much more in common in terms of design:
http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/01A.html
My point is that most of these 35-70 or 35-80 will probably be similar in design to some extend in my view (same as that most 50mm are double gauss derivative and highly alike in optical design between different manufacturers).
Sure they might have been built in the same factory at some point, however that does not automatically lead to this conclusion in my view.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica 35-70, Praktica 35-70 has both acceptable quality if you can't bring primes and they are small , both are available cheaply.
I did like very much Tamron SP 35-80 it has excellent quality, good as than a good prime lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the lens schemes Koji. That is interesting stuff!