Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5D's are alright
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: 5D's are alright Reply with quote

My Pentax died, and I haven't been using auto focus DA *'S, so being bored I sold the working lenses and went and bought a original 5D just because.

Long story short, compared to the K5, the 5D is well despite it being an older CMOS sensor.. it's pretty dam good. Shooting with my Tak's, I haven't noticed a penalty in quality at all. Not sure if that's a compliment to the Canon or a slap to the Pentax.

Either way. Waiting on a K adaptor to play once again with the K's and M's lenses, and now, well I realise I can start to look for old Nikor's

Also! The Tair 3 feels great on the body of the 5D, it's so much more balanced Razz

VIVE LA Cheap old Cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still my primary camera although price of a7rii is very tempting.

You didn't mention about change from aps-c to ff?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out it's not that big of a deal. "shrugs"

I suppose the free magnification is welcomed. With a 35mm on the K5 and a 50mm on the 5D, everything in the 5D is a little larger, but not that much to be honest. It's no Spotmatic. Still, I'm sure I will enjoy using 35's & 24mm's a little more now just because everything is a little larger.

Although being a turkey, I was able to capture this Turkey with the 55mm lens at f1.8 the other day. I think that's enough "Bokeh" for my life time now.

Click

I was lying down in a park eating an apple and she thought she'd have some too.

What is welcomed is how "film like" the camera feels. Is that a weird thing to say? All the commands are accessible with your eye in the viewfinder, you need only look at the back screen to check histograms. Which is probably a good thing because it's quite green. Oh also surprising, turning it on. You don't need to wait for a welcome screen it's ready as soon as you move the dial. I know not a big deal but it's just nice.

The controls are actually pretty good. The front wheel feels in the wrong place after years of using the Pentax, but the commands make sense and it won't take long to work without thinking.

The FF vs APS-C thing wasn't a motivator, I mean, I suppose it feels nice, but I'm not celebrating? Perhaps I'll change my tune after I play with a few proper wide angle lenses. I confess I have been curious with the FF thing, and after a year of not using the $$$ AF APS-C lenses, I was happy to move them on and get a "toy" that would slow me down. The images I love the most are the ones I had to plan, this camera will force me to do that once more Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried the 5D classic, but in general K-mount Pentax lenses do not play well with FF Canons - aperture lever guard will hit the mirror box when you mount it. Just be mindful of it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:

What is welcomed is how "film like" the camera feels. Is that a weird thing to say? All the commands are accessible with your eye in the viewfinder, you need only look at the back screen to check histograms. Which is probably a good thing because it's quite green. Oh also surprising, turning it on. You don't need to wait for a welcome screen it's ready as soon as you move the dial. I know not a big deal but it's just nice.

The controls are actually pretty good. The front wheel feels in the wrong place after years of using the Pentax, but the commands make sense and it won't take long to work without thinking.

I know what you mean. It's a basic features only camera with a high-end (for the time) sensor, same as used in their pro line $$$$ cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooohh and there is firmware to update, It formatted a 32g card as 8g... had me worried there. Razz

Understood Gardener, I will probably select a couple of my M's and K's to be "canonised" for ever more by removing the aperture lever as required.

Oh, bet look at the VIvitar Series 1 and work out what to do with it...

And yep, it's rather simple. I'm really digging it.

Oh my, the raw files are ~12megs in size each. Living the dream!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my EF - PK adaptor arrived, and after a night of fiddling with small JIS drivers I now have "Cannoned" a trio of lens to play with;

-M 35mm f2.8
-M 50mm f2
-A 50mm f1.7 (lost the ball bearing oh how sad I am Sad)
-Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5

That, in a perfect world should be all the glass I would ever need. Initially no surprises, with the usual removal of aperture leavers and shrouds all worked all ok.

What is a little annoying however, the lens mount permits a little play on the camera, and it's happening on the Pentax end. I assume this is the norm with these Chinese adaptors? It's enough that it's annoying, not encouraging, I doubt how often I'd use PK lenses on it now to be honest.

Has anyone had any luck / found a better one (style of adaptor) before I go "meh" and get over it?

Another thought? I assume others have just retrofitted Canon mounts directly to the base of lenses?

Ignorantly yours,
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! Recently, I've also been tempted by a 5D at the local camera-store. Still undecided though.

The one thing holding me back is that there are some concerns about clearing the mirror on many of my anticipated lenses (Exakta-mount)

How is the metering on these camera's with manual lenses? Will it still meter?

And how is ISO noise at (say) 800 and 1600?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a recent review on DP that compared the original to the later units.. It has some pretty good examples of iso etc

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/5197378415/throwback-thursday-the-canon-eos-5d

But from my point of view, It's been comparable to the K5 at similar ISO's. Let me see if I've got any junk to show what I mean..

This is at iso800,

https://imgur.com/gbYK5QM.jpg

I underexposed to this to see if I could make the blacks trash. but nah, they held up ok.

Another horrible JPEG, Mandatory partner telling me to f88k off Razz

https://imgur.com/aAMLV1Q.jpg

This was max ISO (3200) and again underexposed, this is a 2005 Canon JPEG engine too for what its worth, ie. pretty trashy by todays standard. but I'd use 3200 ISO again.

Oh, that where shot with the 55mm f1.8 Tak, can't remember the aperture, most likely both wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh metering! its better then it was on the Pentax!

Works perfect with what ever lens I've used. (see above above)

I've just ordered an EE-S screen for it, will see if it makes it crap or not. But Happy with the stock screen and these pentax lenses I've used on it.

EDIT! oh re if your lenses will work, this list seems pretty good.

https://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your elaborate feedback and examples!

Currently my DSLR is a K100D, a 2006-model, so I am not setting a very high bar anyway. The metering is really nice with PK-lenses, with the camera operating the aperture.

Another advantage of the 5D, compared to the K100D and also to my Leica, is the HSS-option. It's something I want to explore too. And the files are not too big; the huge files of modern camera's seem really unnecessary to me.

It's on sale for 300 euro at a local store, including warranty.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
I've just ordered an EE-S screen for it, will see if it makes it crap or not. But Happy with the stock screen and these pentax lenses I've used on it.

You must have very good eyes. I've given up to use manual lenses on a DSLR, except with my Pentax K20D which is modified with a custom made split image micro prism focusing screen. Otherwise I would be unable to find the exact focus point.
That's actually the main reason (besides the best lens compatibility) why I moved to a A7R II with 12.5 x magnification and focus peaking.

Sorry to say, but IMHO you missed the correct focus on your turkey example.

Anyway, congrats for your new camera.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

You must have very good eyes. I've given up to use manual lenses on a DSLR, except with my Pentax K20D which is modified with a custom made split image micro prism focusing screen. Otherwise I would be unable to find the exact focus point.
That's actually the main reason (besides the best lens compatibility) why I moved to a A7R II with 12.5 x magnification and focus peaking.
I can understand your comment, and of course mirrorless tends to be more versatile.

For me it's also about the shooting experience: Rangefinder lenses are the most fun when used on a rangefinder; SLR-lenses are fun to use on a (digital) SLR. For this reason, I've been eyeing Canon SLRs for a while, although I think I will postpone, as currently I'm already involved in learning to work with off-camera lights.... not too much projects at once Idea

Besides, under some circumstances, I am less than happy with lag of EVFs, and with the clarity EVF's (think low light, or high-contrast scenes) and I am not quite ready to cough up the premium for a camera like the SL (which I think has about the best EVF out there) In many other situations, such as macro-work, live view + magnification is obviously more convenient than any OVF.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
For me it's also about the shooting experience: Rangefinder lenses are the most fun when used on a rangefinder; SLR-lenses are fun to use on a (digital) SLR. For this reason, I've been eyeing Canon SLRs for a while, although I think I will postpone, as currently I'm already involved in learning to work with off-camera lights.... not too much projects at once

Of course, this is understandable. For the DSLR OVF experience I still have my Sony A850 with a quite extensive set of Minolta AF prime lenses. Real RF cameras are fun as well, although I didn't use my analog RF's lately.

To experiment with lights is very interesting. I've got quite a large collection of lights, flashes and accessories as well. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without pure coincidence you cannot possibly focus lenses faster than f/2.8 without ee-s fine focus screen; physically impossible. Ee-s gets pretty dark around f/5.6 or smaller. In good light not a problem., however, in darker conditions you may want the brighter stock screen.

I can't get good results at iso1600...iso800 is fine.

Metering is excellent whether using matrix or spot to manually set exposure.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas I completely agree re the Turkey, I was just so excited to share a cheezy image with a large out of focus background Razz

Yes I've used EE-S screen's previously on the K5, I like it there, and in installing it last night, I'll like it on the canon once more.

I took some shots with the M 35mm f2.8 and the stories are true, you are left with a lovely darker corners at f2.8 I'll have to check at what aperture they clean up. Ah it's nearly fun again rediscovering all these lenses. APS-C was certainly hiding prior weaknesses.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not happy with the play in the K - EF adaptor so now I'm looking for I suppose a 35mm lens in m42 that will play nicely.

I note my usual go toos in the Takumars don't appear to clear the mirror from what I've read.

What are the Nikkor adaptors like?

Given the similarity to the K mount, I'm expecting a similar amount of play? If not I'll just get a 35mm Nikkor and be done with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to investigate different adapter brands. Quality can vary quite a bit. I have no experience with this specific mount/camera-combination though, so can't recommend any particular type.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
I'm not happy with the play in the K - EF adaptor so now I'm looking for I suppose a 35mm lens in m42 that will play nicely.

I note my usual go toos in the Takumars don't appear to clear the mirror from what I've read.

What are the Nikkor adaptors like?

Given the similarity to the K mount, I'm expecting a similar amount of play? If not I'll just get a 35mm Nikkor and be done with it.

From my experience with S-M-C Takumars m42:

17mm ok
20mm mirror hits sometimes at infinity
24mm forget it Sad
28mm fine
35/2 hits sometimes at infinity
35/3.5 I don’t remember!
50mm hits sometimes at infinity
55-500 including zooms are fine.

Nikkor adapters are fine & inexpensive -- after some use may need a simple tightening adjustment with screwdriver.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOBBLE UPDATE!

Well I really couldn't stand the wobble in the K-EOS adaptor. and I wasn't having much luck finding an affordable 35mm to replace the trusty M that I enjoyed shooting with so much.

And since the aperture arm was already removed ages ago from a case of it having slow blades, it made the ultimate sacrifice and it was Loctite 401'd directly on to a spare PK - EOS adaptor.

Now now it's ok, it's ok. It will mean it will be used Wink

Long live the M 35mm!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to celebrate, photos that I like best, dark, out of focus, but of course of the best creatures on earth Razz

How can you just not like a sulking puppy dog. Naaawwww

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you do make me smile Daniel.
Glad you are happy!
Tom Laugh 1