Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need Help With Large Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Need Help With Large Lens Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I recently got delivery of a projection lens that is stubby and quite heavy. It has an E-type mount. The lens weighs about 1445g, with a length of about 125mm, and filter diameter of about 80mm. I decided to use my standby A7ii as my dedicated camera for this lens. I am not sure that is a good idea. I can't get my fingers completely around the grip due to the lens' stubbiness, and turning the focus ring on the lens ís extremely awkward because I am using that hand to hold the camera by the lens. Not an ideal combo. I am thinking of getting a vertical battery grip. Would that be helpful do you think? Any other ideas? Thanks.

-Charles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting looking conversion. What lens is it exactly? One big problem I have with such lenses that are very wide at their base is the lens release button getting very hard to reach.

With the battery grip you may get a little more room for your fingers underneath the lens, not sure if that will improve the handling much. For a previous camera I made a grip extension out of mouldable plastic. A bit clunky but very comfortable to use. I extended the grip both down a bit and forward/sideways, with finger gaps to fit my hand. The trick is to use enough material to get a rigid piece and shape it in such a way that no controls or card doors are obstructed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Projection Lens Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
Interesting looking conversion. What lens is it exactly? One big problem I have with such lenses that are very wide at their base is the lens release button getting very hard to reach.

With the battery grip you may get a little more room for your fingers underneath the lens, not sure if that will improve the handling much. For a previous camera I made a grip extension out of mouldable plastic. A bit clunky but very comfortable to use. I extended the grip both down a bit and forward/sideways, with finger gaps to fit my hand. The trick is to use enough material to get a rigid piece and shape it in such a way that no controls or card doors are obstructed.

Thanks Dick. That is an interesting suggestion. I started using the lens, and because I only take vertical portraits the setup is more manageable. In fact, a vertical grip should be perfect. The issue is, now that I have taken a few images with the lens, I am not sure it is sharp enough for my purposes wide open. It does have a very dreamy look right out of camera, but I need to post-process to bump up the contrast. I am going to try different apertures to see how that effects sharpness and bokeh. I shall be posting my results as soon as I finish my next outing.

-Charles