Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Video sample with a MIR-24N
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Video sample with a MIR-24N Reply with quote

I know it's very unusual, but I'm posting a little film I made with the GH1 and a MIR-24N. I had the mir already but it performed very badly, so I bought it again to give one more try, and I think the perfomance is excellent!

I shot everything at f/2.8, except the last scene that I shot at f/2

I used a 8X ND to be able to use those wider apertures

http://vimeo.com/25657258

password: gabe2011

Hope you like it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some very nice images in the movie, congratulations!
And excellent lighting.
I have only two criticism:

- the gesture of caressing the tummy with the hands, it is a very powerful one, meaningful one, you should want not to diminish it by over-using it. It should be shown a couple of times max. in key moments. There are other ways to show/imply affection, ideally you should have used those and build a climax with them that would lead to the hands on the tummy as a final image.
Using many times a strong image does not make the movie stronger, it only waters down the strenght of that image.

- the story speaks of a future child as the fruit of love of a couple, but where is the man? Just imagine how powerful it would have felt if at the end of the movie, you showed four hands instead of two on the tummy, the other two hands being those of the father.
You should have also introduced the father earlier in the movie, by indirect ways (e.g. a hand written letter, a photo, the image of his clothes, and so on)

P.S. I moved your thread to the proper section.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Images and Colors.

I wanted to get a MIR two, damn this seems to be an expensive Summer :/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always impressed when someone can shoot video that steady hand held. How well does the camera handle sound?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan what a beautiful document of love, full of brightness and joy.
wish your charming wife / woman all the best for giving birth, and much happiness to all of you.
Gabriel will be very happy to see this video Smile

the combination of GH1 and MIR-24N obviously works very well
if there is one thing, besides happiness watching it, that I noticed was that I hardly could hear her voice. maybe a 'voice over' is feasible?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: 8mm Rokinon Reply with quote

http://www.photoshop.com/users/arsk0wal/assets/25dca1f789db4c3aa1d1867deb37f329

If this works it will be a test of the 8mm Rokinon/samyang lens on a Canon 550D. The Camera was placed on the dashboard of my Chrysler Town & Country van with the help of a men's sock stuffed with other socks and placed under the lens. The windshield and dashboard were cleaned and the winsshield wipers were removed. I hope you can see the results of my drive around where I live.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Video sample with a MIR-24N Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
I know it's very unusual, but I'm posting a little film I made with the GH1 and a MIR-24N. I had the mir already but it performed very badly, so I bought it again to give one more try, and I think the perfomance is excellent!

I shot everything at f/2.8, except the last scene that I shot at f/2

I used a 8X ND to be able to use those wider apertures

http://vimeo.com/25657258

password: gabe2011

Hope you like it!

I'm extremely impressed by the video quality!!!...I would love to get a DSLR that can take all my existing manual focus lenses and that can capture great quality 1080p video like your GH1...Would the Canon 7D be any good or would I be better off with the 5D mk2 for its FF sensor and wider FOV per lens?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 8mm Rokinon Reply with quote

JBruja wrote:
http://www.photoshop.com/users/arsk0wal/assets/25dca1f789db4c3aa1d1867deb37f329

If this works it will be a test of the 8mm Rokinon/samyang lens on a Canon 550D. The Camera was placed on the dashboard of my Chrysler Town & Country van with the help of a men's sock stuffed with other socks and placed under the lens. The windshield and dashboard were cleaned and the winsshield wipers were removed. I hope you can see the results of my drive around where I live.

Did you run that stop sign? Did'nt look like you stopped fully.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely video, Ivan. Very smooth focusing! Do you use a follow focus or is that all with just the focus ring?

Also, DSG, the 5D Mk. II would give you slightly better low light performance, but unless you already have it, I wouldn't recommend it (or the 7D for that matter) for video. Right now with Canon, the 60D and 600D are king IMO. The crop sensor more often than not turns out to be a boon; it's easier to get great, affordable shorter lenses than longer ones. It also compensates (just like it does in still shooting) for things like loss of sharpness and CA toward the corners of lenses. More importantly, it has the wonderful swivel screen that makes it absolutely killer for video; neither the 7D nor the 5D Mark II have it.

Besides the varied viewing angles while filming, this also helps the camera stay much, much cooler while shooting video. While its IQ is excellent, the thing about the 5D's video features is they were kind of an accident; Canon included them because they could, and for the sake of having them, but they didn't really think people would be using the camera for video on any serious level. As a result, the high framerate it wasn't truly designed to shoot at really tends to heat it up over time; this can sometimes result in errors on the cards unless you go out of you way to cool it down. There are also a lot of crucial video features missing from it that you have to add back in, so to speak, with the free Magic Lantern firmware, which reduces your battery life and makes the heat problem slightly worse too.

By contrast, as a result of the 'HDSLR' video sensation the 5D II helped start, Canon has started putting more and more thought and effort into advanced video features on their newer cams: bether audio options, the swivel screens, and digitally zoomed HD video as a start (since the sensors are capable of upwards of 18MP, unlike with stills, with 1080p video digital zoom actually improves the resolving power and can prove quite useful, not just for aiding with MF, but increasing the focal length that extra bit when you need it).

However, that story completely changes if you've already got a 5D II or a 7D. Despite not being designed for video use, they still produce great IQ with it; and if you're only going to be doing it occasionally, there's no reason to invest in a whole new camera that's inferior for still photo use just for that purpose; and if you own both, it's a toss-up; the 7D is better for video out of the box, but the 5D II is better with Magic Lantern. But if you don't, I say go with the 60D or 600D. Not only better for the money when it comes to video, but better overall for it IMO. One thing to keep in mind either way is you need a fast CF/SD card. The video these cams record goes at upwards of 50 Mbits/sec bitrate!