Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus Inside (!?!) Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Fungus Inside (!?!) Film Reply with quote

This past week I finally moved all my stuff to CA from IL. In it was a box of old family photo negatives that had been improperly stored. I'm about 1/3 through and so far have found two strips of film that appear to have white fungus growing between the emulsion and cellulose. The two rolls so far are Kodak Safety Film (that dates them) 5025 and 5035. I know I can't reverse the damage, but will storing them in my negative binder stop the fungus growth? Will I risk the fungus spreading to other negatives?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just same case than lenses, buy a big transparent plastic box, put a humidity meter and humidity remover chemical inside keep humidity low around 30-40% fungus will stop. Left box in room to get enough light every day.

To fungus need 3 things, darkness, food and humidity. With above solution you left food only for fungus.

Look for something similar product
http://www.damprid.com/product/easy-fill-system-bathroom-moisture-absorber-fg95

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a quick wask in ISO will kill the fungus without damaging the negs? It will definitely kill the fungus but don't know if it would disolve anything else or not.