Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 - Is It Any Good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 - Is It Any Good? Reply with quote

I acquired this Tamron lens through a local sale for $80. I had heard somewhere that it was a
decent lens, so I took a chance and bought it on the spot, because I thought the fast aperture
might be nice in lower light situations.

I'm reading a little bit about it on the Web, although there isn't a whole bunch of information.
What I'm reading sounds like it's pretty good, so I'm trying it out with some Velvia on the Contax
AX this weekend.

Does anyone know about this lens, or possibly have this lens? I know that opinions are personal
and subjective, but judging by the build, it is certainly a robust (meaning heavy) lens. Also has
a pretty cool original lens hood which is built like a piece of heavy pipe. Shocked
There is a (probably original?) tripod mount collar on the lens. It says Tamron on the collar, and
has a funky screw-tightening arrangement that seems to be effective.

It's all in good shape with some usage marks. The glass is clear and has no fungus, dust, etc. so
that is a good thing.

It says 30A for the model number, and there is a designation on the barrel that says LD - I assume
that means there must be a low dispersion group of glass in the lens?

I'll try to take a picture of the lens as soon as I can, so you folks can more readily see if it is one
you recognize.

Hopefully, if it's not all that great, I can sell it for what I paid for it. It's all a gamble, for sure.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT is a bargain! Congratulations!!!!!

http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/30A.html

Seriously, it's worth several hundred dollars Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Larry!
A fantastic find!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lens I have been easily outbid on a few times. BARGAIN!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Now THAT is a bargain! Congratulations!!!!!

http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/30A.html

Seriously, it's worth several hundred dollars Shocked

Holy Cow! That's a nice site, looks like all the older Tamrons are shown there. I see that this 30A
lens seems to be respected by the reviewer.

If this lens is really worth several hundred dollars, then I DID come out okay on this.

I'll post results from my shooting with Velvia as soon as I get them developed.

Looks like I made a pretty good buy here, and that is very nice to happen.

Thank you for the information!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Congratulations, Larry!
A fantastic find!

Thanks Carsten! Wow, I got lucky. Laughing Sounds like $80 well-spent.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Mr. Green

Shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
A lens I have been easily outbid on a few times. BARGAIN!

I'm glad to hear that the lens seems to be sought after. I don't think I've EVER had a true
bargain lens before, but this time I guess did. I'm now very anxious to see the results. Looking at
the website that Graham showed me, I'm pretty impressed with the resolution. Looks like even
at f:32 it STILL shows 50 line pairs. Of course, that's just the "technical" side of things. The
proof always comes in the results, and so I shall see.

Thanks guys! I'm happy on this one!

I'll say one thing for sure: mounted on my Contax AX, the whole thing must weigh about
5 pounds! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

We are all awaiting your samples eagerly Very Happy

/T

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
Congrats!

/T

torbod: Thanks for putting the pressure on me! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
torbod wrote:
Congrats!

/T

torbod: Thanks for putting the pressure on me! Laughing

What a bargain! Shocked Congrats. It is a cracking lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

I'm glad to hear that the lens seems to be sought after. I don't think I've EVER had a true
bargain lens before, but this time I guess did.

Larry, if anybody here deserves it, it's you! Very Happy

I'd love to see the lens on your cam...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kind of jealous here, wish i had that bargain...
The only consolation is that you will have to carry it around to make pictures Wink
I hope it will serve you well, should be a very nice lens

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen this lens under 200 USD even with faulties, congrats!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sting wrote: What a bargain! Congrats. It is a cracking lens.

I'm happy to get a nice bargain, I'm hoping it works out as a good lens. Thanks for the comment!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Laurence wrote:

bargain lens before, but this time I guess did.

Larry, if anybody here deserves it, it's you! Very Happy

I'd love to see the lens on your cam...

As soon as I get home, I'll take some pix of the lens, Carsten. It's sort of like a cannon...
and I don't mean Canon, I mean cannon! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dane03 wrote:
To shorten the waiting time, here, you can find pictures taken with this lens and my Nikon D3:

http://www.nikonpoint.de/viewtopic.php?t=75448

I'm a biiiiig Adaptall Fan (already have 17mm 3.5, 24-48mm 3.5-3.8, 28mm 2.5, 80-200mm 2.8 and 90mm 2.5 Macro).
and this lens is the reason for it!

GREAT representative images! I know it's hard to give an exact showing of the attributes of a lens
on our 72dpi monitors, but if these are any indication, I'm anxious to see how this lens works out.

I've bookmarked the adaptall-2.org site for sure. I was given a really fine Tamron from Carsten. Not
an SP lens but it's the VERY crisp 28-70. I already SOLD an image from that lens! The corner sharpness
wide open is really beautiful. The focal range is VERY useful.

I've heard about the 90mm macro before, and I've been reviewing the whole lineup of Tamron lenses.
It seems that a lot of the older adaptall lenses are the EQUAL of current modern lenses. Shocked

This 80-200 IS heavy, but I was "practicing" last night, and the mass, along with the Contax AX, actually
helps me to handhold the slower shutter speeds. It's like holding a 5-pound bag of flour, very stable. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ymmot wrote:
I am kind of jealous here, wish i had that bargain...
The only consolation is that you will have to carry it around to make pictures Wink
I hope it will serve you well, should be a very nice lens

I appreciate your good words. And yeah...I will avoid dropping it on my foot. Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I never seen this lens under 200 USD even with faulties, congrats!!

Yes, I really didn't know how to price the lens, but it just LOOKED like it had to be a good
lens. I only had the apparent construction to evaluate, and of course it looked like a
very well built lens. So, I hoped that the $80 would be a good price. And, of course now
I know it WAS a good price. This was at a crafts bazaar, and there were only a couple of
pieces of camera equipment for sale. I did see a Zenit camera, and a Vivitar 28/2.8 lens
along with this lens. Actually, I was intrigued by the lens collar arrangement - thought it
might be a home-crafted collar - but it turns out its the OEM Tamron collar. Not made for
beauty, but certainly has good function.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Michael (cooltouch) looked for it long time ago. He gave up for the price. It was sold here around $400 or 500
Congrats Larry..We all excited as yourself to see results

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
I think Michael (cooltouch) looked for it long time ago. He gave up for the price. It was sold here around $400 or 500
Congrats Larry..We all excited as yourself to see results

Well, I can tell you that the subjects are limited, so there won't be any "beauty" shots. It's cold and raining here, but perhaps
I can find some colorful leaves once it brightens up a little bit. I wish it was summer, and I was up in the mountains where the
possibility of a colorful shot is much better. But hey..I'll give it a try!

Thanks for your nice comment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 - Is It Any Good? Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I acquired this Tamron lens through a local sale for $80.

what a bargain !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really great, Laurence and I'm happy for you.
You sure deserve it.
Now... Make it shine and show us some deep forest samples. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,finally,after long time looking,bought this lens couple of weeks ago c/w PKA mount & 200F 2x extender(quite rare) and bonus 70-150 2.8 SOFT,also with PKA mount for a total $280 can. I felt that I got an incredible bargain even though I very rarely shoot portraits anymore but looking forward to trying the 70-150 soft for my macro flora shots.The 200F extender can evidently be used with any Tamron lens with 2.5/2.8 aperture although the rear element on some lenses protrudes to far,case of try it and see if it fits.