Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer-Optic Primotar 135/3.5 ... Trioplan big brother
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Meyer-Optic Primotar 135/3.5 ... Trioplan big brother Reply with quote

First, thanks to Kathmandu that gave me information about this lens.

http://forum.mflenses.com/you-can-get-lucky-the-bay-t43042,start,30.html

Since I already have the 135mm lens with normal standard bokeh (CZJ 135/3.5 and Sonnar 135/2.8 ) and gaussian blur bokeh (Sony STF converted to EOS mount) so I was thinking to complete the set with 135 lens with harsh bokeh like Trioplan, and Kathmandu suggested the Primotar.
Got it from local market at about $80. (is it expensive?)
The lens looks odd (just like the Trioplan is odd), black & long like a flash light or long hand grenade (the security officer watching me seriously when I used it in the park Smile )
But the result surprised me. Gorgeous rendering! Become a favorit lens in an instant.

Last edited by nixland on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All photos are original in color and contrast. PP is just for sharpening for resizing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am wondering if there is any 135 lens with swirly bokeh. Smile Though I think it's difficult to get the swirly bokeh for this focal length (or is it still possible?).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatsgreat , looks like you like the lens you bought. Nice samples.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Thatsgreat , looks like you like the lens you bought. Nice samples.

It's performance is beyond my expectation. Has less glow than Trioplan and I still got what I want ... it's bokeh ring Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Primotar and enjoy using it a lot for it's colours and bokeh. It's not as sharp as other 135s but it's sharp enough and the beautiful oof renderings can give really painterly images.

I agree, it does look odd, and as mine is quite beaten up looking it does look quite military/industrial.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have a Primotar and enjoy using it a lot for it's colours and bokeh. It's not as sharp as other 135s but it's sharp enough and the beautiful oof renderings can give really painterly images.

I agree, it does look odd, and as mine is quite beaten up looking it does look quite military/industrial.

Looks pretty sharp to me-you must have a bad copy. I have posted images with my copy in the "Oversized Gallery".

http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-optik-goerlitz-primotar-135mm-f3-5-t41914.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, wide open it's not very sharp, stop down to f8 and it's not bad, but both copies of my Pentacon 2.8/135 are noticeably sharper.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixland wrote:
Now I am wondering if there is any 135 lens with swirly bokeh. Smile Though I think it's difficult to get the swirly bokeh for this focal length (or is it still possible?).
Nice samples! I have a Pentacon preset 135 that swirls, as does the Tair 11; not to the same extent as the Biotar/Helios.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid samples Nixland. I must try mine. It seems one of the ugliest lenses to me on outside Smile.

I've seen slight swirly bokeh on different 135mm. More can be obtained with speedy projector lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks All for the comments.

@martin: thanks a lot for the info. Meet you at your swirly 135 thread Smile

@Pancolart: this lens is my ugliest lens so far .... Very Happy Thanks for the suggestion about projection lens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a tie between my Jupiter-11A and my Primotar in the ugly stakes, but I like em, have a gungy industrial/military look to em!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I think it's a tie between my Jupiter-11A and my Primotar in the ugly stakes, but I like em, have a gungy industrial/military look to em!

... and my Trioplan 100/2 silver looks like Star Wars lightsaber handle ... Smile

One more 'oil-painting' bokeh from the black stick grenade lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black flashlight, The stun grenade ... Primotar 135 .. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn´t find much info about this lens. So I bought it based on this thread and the pictures showed here. I didn´t have much time to test it yet...here is a picture after ten minutes of shooting with it, I think I will like it Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, nice image!
I have taken my Priomplan too use it again after long time - normaly I use the Trioplan / Diaplan instead.