Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEX + manual lens = S Mode?!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: NEX + manual lens = S Mode?! Reply with quote

very likely everybody knows too well..but a few weeks into NEX there are so many things I would want to discuss:

In A mode my NEX5N exposes manual lenses very well.
When I checked some EXIF I saw that in A mode the camera almost always chooses 1/60th of a sec. and 'auto ISO' adjusts ISO accordingly up to ISO 3200.

If upping ISO cannot be avoided S mode exposes just as well and gives the handy advantage of controlling shutter speed by the wheel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set the maximum iso to use when in auto mode, so for example i have mine set at a maximum of 1600,this can be handy, also recently i have found i mode works really well, makes a better job of WB, and iso selection

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my NEX 3 in Shutter priority 90% of the time , ISO set manually . I try to control the speed according to the FL of the lens going as low as possible . sometimes on auto ISO wich is set at 1600 maximum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
You can set the maximum iso to use when in auto mode, so for example i have mine set at a maximum of 1600,this can be handy, also recently i have found i mode works really well, makes a better job of WB, and iso selection

yes, limiting the highest ISO auto ISO goes is handy!
I will try i mode now too, thank's for the tip!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
I use my NEX 3 in Shutter priority 90% of the time , ISO set manually . I try to control the speed according to the FL of the lens going as low as possible . sometimes on auto ISO wich is set at 1600 maximum.

right, I am using 'normal' lenses or wider and sometimes I can do with longer exposure times than 1/60th, with a tele one may want shorter. Auto ISO comes in handy there.
Once back in tropical climates with lots of sun, when shutter speeds are shorter than 1/60th at lowest ISO, I reckon A mode will be best again, or possibly i mode is best always?