Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anybody here own the Samyang 500mm f/8?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Anybody here own the Samyang 500mm f/8? Reply with quote

Not the mirror lens, the refractor, which is reported to be at least reasonably sharp much to everyone's surprise.

I've been pondering this thought for a long time, I primarily shoot medium format, but will go back to 35mm for a bit since I picked up some beautiful yashica primes (like factory new going for $10 at a market. lost a 20mm to some jerk when i put it down asking how much and taking out my wallet, prepared to pay any price.. got a 24mm though..)

Back on topic. I've seen the hartblei medium format camera designed for digital backs that takes EOS lenses, as some cover much bigger than 35mm (like the TS-E 17mm), telephotos often cover a fair bit.

I wanted a reasonably sharp lens in 500mm I could saw the back tube off or otherwise remove and mount on a Mamiya M645 (dont have one atm.. but want one.. normally i use the RB) because of it's leaf shutter.

If I need to stop down to f/8 on any other lens for good sharpness (such as Canon FD 500mm prime or even the 800mm f/5.6L) I'd rather a cheaper much lighter and more portable f/8 lens that's good wide open to begin with.

Not sure if it has the coverage.

But anyway, was wondering if anyone had images and crops to share and what camera the crops came from?

I've seen that other thread that linked elsewhere, but there weren't many images and hard to tell.

edit: I should mention mirror lenses ain't gonna cut it because the M645 flange focal distance is 63.3mm, and there is no room to shorten the lens on a mirror lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have this lens, but haven't got around to testing it yet, so no samples

you don't have to saw off the tube because part from lens mount to the tripod mount screws off

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one, it was awful, I removed the optics to use the tube and helicoid to remount a Wollensak Apochromatic Raptar. I remember lots of CA and low contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I might end up "digiscoping" with an M645 and a Celestron C-5 or something. Perhaps a refractor scope.