Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Where to buy M42-PK adapter with inner flange?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Where to buy M42-PK adapter with inner flange? Reply with quote

Hi guys - I have few M42 lenses that don't have the A/M switch - hence I can only use them wide open on my Pentax DSLR bodies.

I've learnt from a member here that we can buy an adapter that has an inner flange to keep the aperture pin pushed in which allows the control over the aperture ring. I've searched on eBay but can't seem to find it.

Can anyone direct me to a seller, online store that has it in stock?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen one, sorry. But you can make a tiny alteration to your lenses to disable the push pin and make them manual only. One easy way is to slide a piece of plastic tube (for example cut from a ballpoint pen refill) over the tube inside the mount, or you can wedge it with paper or a matchstick. Some people have even glued the pin in superglue. I think there are example pictures somewhere if you search.

Tell us what lenses you have and someone will have done them before.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ducdao,

Apologies if it was me who has misled...I was referring to M42-EOS adapters with flange. Maybe I misinterpreted the question by reading too fast...

M42-PK adapters which retain infinity focus may be impossible to make with a flange, because there is no room for it, the adapter fits inside the body.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one with a 'flange' somewhere. It caused some problems with some lenses depending on the position of the pin. Some wouldn't screw all the way in, so loosing infinity, and some jammed. As has been pointed out - there's not a lot of room. So its in a box somewhere...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

M42-PK adapters which retain infinity focus may be impossible to make with a flange, because there is no room for it, the adapter fits inside the body.

No, it's possible (i have one of these, bought from Alex) ... The flange he was talking about is the inner flange for pushing the stop down pin on auto-only lenses ... These adapters were widely available on eBay up to a few months ago, wonder why they are no more in stock now ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I've never seen one, sorry. But you can make a tiny alteration to your lenses to disable the push pin and make them manual only. One easy way is to slide a piece of plastic tube (for example cut from a ballpoint pen refill) over the tube inside the mount, or you can wedge it with paper or a matchstick. Some people have even glued the pin in superglue. I think there are example pictures somewhere if you search.

Tell us what lenses you have and someone will have done them before.

Hi Peter - thanks for the insights. I've also done few mods like that, eg. slide a little piece of Qtips stick inside my Helios' (they are easy), I've have also glued the pin on my Fujinon 50/f1.4 because it was practically impossible to use the previous trick.

A member (indianadinos) here was nice enough to show me that an adapter with the inner flange exists see http://www.kipon-usa.com/pentax-body/kipon-m42-lens-to-pentax-p-k-camera-body-adapter-with-inner-ring.html

The problem is I can't find it on sale anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipon made one back in the day. It was a really high quality adapter. Can't seem to find it on ebay anymore. Maybe you can find it elsewhere?

EDIT: Whoops, I really shouldn't post without reading thoroughly...It seems kipon was already mentioned. Sorry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best adapter for PK to M42 is the Japanese made Kindai one: it's much better than the original Pentax as it has absolutely no tolerances and lenses are firm as a rock when mounted. And it has an inner flange, and it's black to reduce reflections.

The cheap Chinese adapters that were available had a serious problem: they had a slightly different design from the original Pentax adapter, and often did slide over the stop in the mount, making it very hard to remove them. Thee was a modification possible where you filed one corner of the adapter, but I never had much success after doing it on mine.

The only problem with the Kindai adapter is its rare, and costs a lot (80€ + shipping from HK or JP). I am thinking of selling mine as I have no PEntax bodies ATM, if you are interested drop me a PM. It's this one

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
The best adapter for PK to M42 is the Japanese made Kindai one: it's much better than the original Pentax as it has absolutely no tolerances and lenses are firm as a rock when mounted. And it has an inner flange, and it's black to reduce reflections.

The cheap Chinese adapters that were available had a serious problem: they had a slightly different design from the original Pentax adapter, and often did slide over the stop in the mount, making it very hard to remove them. Thee was a modification possible where you filed one corner of the adapter, but I never had much success after doing it on mine.

The only problem with the Kindai adapter is its rare, and costs a lot (80€ + shipping from HK or JP). I am thinking of selling mine as I have no PEntax bodies ATM, if you are interested drop me a PM. It's this one

Thanks for the offer, ludoo. I just found one online retailer that has the Kipon in stock so I just bought it. I will pass on your sweet offer for the moment.

Duc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys - I received the Kipon adapter last week. Here it is. Everything works as advertised. You can see to inner flange on the second image.

The only cons is it is difficult to take the adapter off the mount. You really need to use the provided tool.