Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele Vivitar 85mm f1.8 t-mount preset won't reach infinity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Tele Vivitar 85mm f1.8 t-mount preset won't reach infinity Reply with quote

Just what it says on the tin. I have a Tele Vivitar 85mm f1.8 t-mount preset that had no mount. I ordered a t-mount for my Pentax K and it went on fine, but I can't reach infinity focus. Did I get the wrong kind of t-mount or what? What is the solution?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many possible reasons.

How much is it off infinity ? A lot or a bit ?

Two possible reasons for trouble that come to mind immediately.

Reason #1 I think is that not all T-mounts are the same. Some are slightly off a bit. I have had this situation before.
Check that the inner ring of the T mount is actually flush with the bearing surface that presses against the lens bottom.

Reason #2 The focus mechanism internal infinity stop may not be set correctly. This is not unusual either. Sometimes the only fix needed is to loosen a screw or two on the focus ring, shift it a bit and retighten to permit the thing to focus the last little bit. Sometimes the fix can be more complex, or not possible this way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tele Vivitar 85mm f1.8 t-mount preset won't reach infini Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
Just what it says on the tin. I have a Tele Vivitar 85mm f1.8 t-mount preset that had no mount. I ordered a t-mount for my Pentax K and it went on fine, but I can't reach infinity focus. Did I get the wrong kind of t-mount or what? What is the solution?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Is it a cheap Chinese made T-Mount adapter? I don't know if that's the issue but I suspect I have had a similar problem. I have already disposed of my lens (Soligor 200mm f4.5) so I can't say with any certainty if that was the problem. I'm speculating that the cheap adapter could have been the culprit.