Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

20mm alternatives on Sony a7 - opinions please
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: 20mm alternatives on Sony a7 - opinions please Reply with quote

I have an RE, Auto-Topcor 4/20 which is pretty good.... And relatively small
Any other faster 20mm for the a7 ?
I have just crossed out the Minolta MD 2.8/20 from my list...

Your thoughts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon new FD 20mm f/2.8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why faster? 20mm lenses are not intended to be used wide open, most need to be stopped down to reach their peak performance; they are designed that way as they are intended for landscape and architectural use.

A Sigma DN 19mm will outperform any legacy 20mm and will probably be cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

A Sigma DN 19mm will outperform any legacy 20mm and will probably be cheaper.

Unless the lens will be used in croped mode, there's no comparison. Sigma 19 is a APS-C design, and even if you remove the rear lens buffle - it won't cover the full frame sensor.

The lens is inteded to be used on a sony a7 camera.

To be (partially) on topic, if I were in a market for a FF wide angle, I'd take a look at the 14mm samyang.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Canon new FD 20mm f/2.8

Without a sensor mod, that nFD is one of the best options, and the cheapest of the good options. Funny enough the best UWA option right now, reportedly better than the 1635 zoom (which is better than most if not all film 20s on the stock camera), is the new CV 15 version 3.

I'm afraid the Canon FFs, Nikon FFs and Leicas all well out-perform any stock A7x at 20mm with "best options"

If you really care, get the Kolari thin sensor stack mod for the A7 or A7r. Then the camera is killer with many 20s, including the best in the world: SEM 21 (although it also is not fast)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 20mm alternatives on Sony a7 - opinions please Reply with quote

Mir wrote:

Just curious: why?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for the classic old 20mm f/3.5 UD Nikkor. With hood, if you can find one. I've just always liked that old piece of glass. It's a good performer, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 20mm alternatives on Sony a7 - opinions please Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Mir wrote:

Just curious: why?

Read a bunch of so,so reviews...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica Hexanon AR 21 mm F/2.8 Lens or it's less expensive, slower predecessor the Konica Hexanon AR 21 mm F/4.0.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 20mm alternatives on Sony a7 - opinions please Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
I have an RE, Auto-Topcor 4/20 which is pretty good.... And relatively small
Any other faster 20mm for the a7 ?

Your thoughts

Olympus OM 21/2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Konica Hexanon AR 21 mm F/2.8 Lens or it's less expensive, slower predecessor the Konica Hexanon AR 21 mm F/4.0.

I have a bunch of sample shots from the f4 version, and I quite like it, the newer 21/2.8 is reported to be better.
What I've seen from the nFD 20 is encouraging.
I have yet to try the Minolta MC 21/2.8 on my A7r...
The CV 21/1.8 works very well, as does the CV 15 vIII.
Obvious choices are the Contax 21/2.8 & Zeiss ZF/ZF.2 21/2.8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Pentax M20/4
Very small (~29.5mm length)and thus portable and easy to just add in the bag 'just in case' I need a wide.

Edges are fine by f8, but the corners need f11 to be decent.
f16 gets a bit better than that, but probably suffers from diffraction elsewhere.
I printed a test scene from a setting of f11 on A4 and it looked good w/o any hint of the poorer corners.

Often, the corners are gone with the distortion correction or cropping to a better aspect ratio anyway.

DSC03092-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

20150516-DSC03004-BW by jenkwang, on Flickr

20150129-DSC08557-2400 by jenkwang, on Flickr

The CV21/1.8 is about the size of a 35/2 from most brands.
Quite a wonder of a lens in that its a 21mm and f1.8 and not that big wrt SLR lenses.
Almost 'do it all' too.
A bit more subject isolation when wide open or performs well stopped down for landscapes.

Modernity at the crossroads by jenkwang, on Flickr

I'd Sad too... Very Happy by jenkwang, on Flickr

A break in the calm by jenkwang, on Flickr

I bring it out less, because it expensive (theft in some overseas places where I am uncertain) and heavier vs the Pentax.
When I want a do it all one lens, this is the one I like best.

The FD20/2.8, I use it the least.
Optically, sharp to the corners at f8, but large (wrt to the others) and clunky FD mounting.
I also have a bad set of lenses to form a FD kit, namely the 55/1.2, 100/2; 135/2, all of which will add to a heavy setup for a simple day out.
So not my preference.
My own wrong decision going for the attractive and cheap FD options when I go the A7. Sad

The FD20 is the cheapest and best choice though if one does not mind the bit larger size and weight.
Hard to find anything that matches its price/performance ratio imo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is the CV 21mm/F4 Color-Skopar. It's by far the smallest and lightest lens in this class and delivers very nice quality also on FF for a reasonable price. I am more than happy with this lens. F4 is fair enough for 21mm. I would never trade it for the F1.8 version.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus OM 21/3.5 is nice too. Okay, it's not so much faster than your Topcor... But at f/8, it's perfect in the corners, and the lens is very small. First one is wide open on A7, focused on the seats.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
My recommendation is the CV 21mm/F4 Color-Skopar. It's by far the smallest and lightest lens in this class and delivers very nice quality also on FF for a reasonable price. I am more than happy with this lens. F4 is fair enough for 21mm. I would never trade it for the F1.8 version.

I am surprised by this recommendation. When I was looking for an UWA for my A7 , I considered this Skopar and I find out that it did not work properly with the A7 sensor.
I finally chose the FD 20 2.8 and I am happy with it. But I can't say if it is better than your Topcon.

"Brick wall" . Berlin last we.

Last edited by memetph on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD 20mm f2.8 as low cost and still stunning option, Olympus OM 21mm f2.0 as expensive choice.