Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Very quick, boring test: Pancolar 1.4/55mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Very quick, boring test: Pancolar 1.4/55mm Reply with quote

Didn't that title just scream "click on me?" Very Happy

So yes, I received this pancolar yesterday at an incredible bargain price. These were a really quick set taken about 3 steps out my door just to get a little feel for the lens. The real test comes when I'm with Anastasia again. No PP, just default raw settings and re-size. Sony a850.

f1.4:

f2.8:

And a size comparison to the pancolar 1.8/50mm:

What I found curious was the serial numbers. The f1.4 reads 7172920 which, according to the list provided by Attila, would mean it was produced from 1964-'67. But the lens was specially made for the Pentacon Super system which didn't begin production until 1968. The f1.8 reads 8237454 which would coincide with the production period of the PS perfectly. Interesting.
~Marc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what a preserved sample! You're so lucky!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

YES!!!!
Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will love it I am pretty sure, great lens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I certainly don't deserve it but I'll take it. Very Happy I feel sort of guilty for getting it at that price. But I didn't lie about the value. They just never asked. They offered it at $40 (with the Pentacon Super) + 15 shipping so I jumped on it. What's a man to do?

Last edited by themoleman342 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics indeed, want more though!

PS: great lens indeed...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fast, straight from camera pic. @1.4:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

I certainly don't deserve it but I'll take it. Very Happy I feel sort of guilty for getting it at that price. But I didn't lie about the value. They just never asked. They offered it at $40 (with the Pentacon Super) + 15 shipping so I jumped on it. What's a man to do?

why not Me??? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a score! Congrats!
<Lustily>
Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

I am so envy!
I am trying to get one for months!!! :s
More, yours looks FANTASTIC!! And just for 55USD!! OMG. At least it worths 10x more! And it came with Pentacon Super...

BTW, good images samples.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for these lack-luster samples. I promise to show the full potential of the lens in the near future. I've not been feeling great so there's no will or inspiration to take pictures...these were just two wide-open photos, lazying around the house.

There is a very definite quality to the rendition, not easily described in terms of sharpness and the like (but it is quite sharp @1.4). It's got a great oof. Smooth but with a unique air. The focus point 'pops' maybe to the point of 3Dness. I've heard the term "plasticity" thrown around before, describing a feeling of depth. I think that describes this lens well.

Last edited by themoleman342 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind the Pancolar, I want samples from the Pentacon Super!!! Razz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Never mind the Pancolar, I want samples from the Pentacon Super!!!

Really? I always just figure a camera is a camera. As long as the photographer is comfortable with it, it's really the optics, exposure, and film that matter. I did confirm that the meter is working. The speeds look correct.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:
Never mind the Pancolar, I want samples from the Pentacon Super!!!

Really? I always just figure a camera is a camera. As long as the photographer is comfortable with it, it's really the optics, exposure, and film that matter. I did confirm that the meter is working. The speeds look correct.

Sorry, I was not clear enough. I want pictures of the camera itself, not from the camera. It's rare enough of course. A silly idea: just sell it off, and you will have a free very rare Pancolar (and then some). Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the dog portrait, dunno if there is any post-processing but if there isn't this lens keeps amazing me, damn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera is in excellent cosmetic condition, very clean, and more importantly fully functional including the meter. The detachable prism and body serial numbers match. The case is unfortunately in rough shape. The threading is undone in many places. The top half is missing the side panels.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! It's clearly a beautiful camera; I hope to find one (complete with the matching Pancolar lens) in the future. Who knows...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to report the lens is de-yellowing quite nicely under a black light bulb. Unfortunately I didn't think to document it so these pictures are a little different. The Pancolar is certainly clearing though. It was losing close to a full stop of light when I got it. Now, in comparison to the 8 element 1.4/50mm Takumar (the one that doesn't yellow), the takumar reads 1/60th with the spot metering mode on an evenly illuminated grey card and the pancolar reads 1/50th.
Day 1:

Day 7:

~Marc