Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Leica 35mm 1:3.5 Elmar Coated Lens 1933
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Leitz Leica 35mm 1:3.5 Elmar Coated Lens 1933 Reply with quote

just got this one today .. this one is definitely older than me

geezer was asking 198, i offered 175 and he bit my arm off accepting, should of said 150 i spose, didnt tho and ive got it

cos hes also quicksmart deliver http://i.imgur.com/h6C9vi0.jpg?1

made in 1933 by the number, but coated by the factory at some stage later, this is the classic street lens they all used http://i.imgur.com/e6D1kIH.jpg?1

some examples later if i get on the Heath .. also i just happen to have the 2 of the proper leica close-up lenses that fit its 19mm thread + an extension-tube [REPRO] all of which seem to work ok

still need cap + hood -- that can be a major problem with the ol leica stuff, the bits n bobs can be eye-wateringly pricy

one issue tho

it wont engage the infinity lock

this is a known issue with this lens, but i cant right now find where its discussed, theres a rebated adapter that clears the lock

[allegedly] i cant see one yet, bin looking

im sure i can file a bit away to allow it to lock ..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this deliberate or why that "pseudo slang" ?? Wink

Please keep in mind that why have a lot of non native speakers here,
for them it's hard enough even with correct spelling and grammar... Wink Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intresting, I knew Leica did these modifications to their gear, but I did not know you could coat your lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm the actual quote from seller
Quote:

The body of the lens is in good condition.
This lens was coated at some point after manufacture and the coating on the front element is now a little patchy but does not appear to effect the image quality too much.
A little internal dust, no sign of fungus or separation.

doesnt actually specify 'coated by Leitz' might be worth asking him

whoever did it covered their tracks well, i see no marks from re-build. they had good lens-spanners

hm, and i can see no screwheads at all on this

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leitz coated lots of pre-war lenses after WWII. It's maybe almost as common to find a coated pre-war lens as an uncoated one because of this. I have an early 40s Summitar that's been coated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etorix wrote it wont engage the infinity lock [ . . . ]im sure i can file a bit away to allow it to lock ..

Difficult to work out whether you're talking about the lens or the adapter but whatever else you do, DO NOT FILE AWAY ANY PART OF THE LENS MOUNT ! That would spoil its value . . . considerably.

In the late 1940s and the 1950s several firms in the UK regularly coated lenses. If you bought the lens in Britain I think it was most likely done by one of these companies and not by Leitz. Until the late 1950s sending equipment back to Germany was hampered by licences and import charges which allowed UK fims to prosper doing the work. One problem with the techniques used then by the independents was that sometimes the deposition tended to lift off in patches after a while. If yours has such symptoms it's a good idea to be careful how you clean it - best not to do it all if, if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, im not that silly, this lens is exquisitely made

whereas the adapter is just cheap chinese, to get me in the game

i think i'd like the real leica-screw-to-leica-M mount adapter, used

failing that, maybe cameraquest/voigtlander LTM-to-M, they look good

and a leica-m to m43, of quality

in the meantime, i'm looking at marking up this adapter for a bit of filing

it doesnt need much off

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, moving the Elmar to another adapter sorted the infinity-lock out, the adapter i had on the Summitar has clearance for the Elmar infinity-lock, cool, easier than i expected

i seem to have a few, all from different Chinese makers

i also just noticed; all of my LTM L39 to M43 adapters have tiny allen-head grubscrews, presumably allowing rotation to get lens markings where you want

including the mflensescom one

tho i dont have small enough allen-keys falling about

i'd guess metric most like, hmm

0.7mm
0.9mm
1.3mm
1.5mm

are the smallest metric bits Wiha do, hmm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got some plastic LTM L39 rear lenscaps and bodycaps

one of the bodycaps is a good push-fit on the Elmar

cool protection