Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cyclop 85mm f/1.5 sharpness
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Cyclop 85mm f/1.5 sharpness Reply with quote

I have purchased this lens from e-bay.My copy is too much soft.Can enyone explain me it is normal for this lens?

Here is my pictures on 100% crop,no PP in Photoshop.Please take a look.It is normal for this lens?I have a Helios 44-2 and Jupiter 37A and this lens is decent sharp and dont have a glow on pictures.Cyclop look very soft in comparing with this two... Sad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mnh18p8ibluh15/Cyclop%2085mm%20100_%20crop.rar?dl=0

Last edited by srkiscuderia on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cyclop 85mm f/1.5 sharpness Reply with quote

srkiscuderia wrote:
I have purchased this lens from e-bay.My copy is too much soft.Can enyone explain me it is normal for this lens?

Here is my pictures on 100% crop,no PP in Photoshop.Please take a look.It is normal for this lens?I have a Helios 44-2 and Jupiter 37A and this lens is decent sharp and dont have a glow on pictures.Cyclop look very soft in comparing with this two... Sad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mnh18p8ibluh15/Cyclop%2085mm%20100_%20crop.rar?dl=0

First post can`t contain images, you are good to go now Wink
Nice to see new people here, welcome...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to clean this lens properly, it must be hazy inside. This lens if not sharp but not that soft neither.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It s way too soft, or you completely misfocused it or something is wrong with it. Check some of my samples:

http://www.pbase.com/tomasg_71/cyclop

Tomas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shutter speeds in the exif are very high so it is a faulty lens i guess, i also had one and it was looking sharper than yours.
It happen sometimes - return it if you can.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see points in some of your images that show some amount of sharpness while other points are distorted. Before sending back, check the rear element which sometimes gets loose. Shake the lens and if you hear a clicking, it is likely the loose rear element. It is very easy to tighten. Beyond that, other factors are the camera sensor and the focusing. What camera are you using? Does it offer focus aids? The focus is very critical and the depth of field very thin.

I have found that for whatever reason, one of my cameras overexposes images from this lens. I shoot 2/3 underexposure and it helps the light areas. A good way to see sharpness and to check focus is to shoot a brick wall from fairly close and on an angle, which assures some point will be in perfect focus.

I have found the lens to be very acceptably sharp when the focus is perfect. When shooting, keep in mind the shallow depth - try to put the areas you want in focus on the same plane - perpendicular to lens. Then look for the big thread we have on the Cyclop. In fact, I have some new pictures to post there, so will do now to push it on top in the forum. It will show you a good representation o fthe lens' capabilities.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is far more better i think Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems OK, yes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it the rear lens?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,the rear and the middle element also.