Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

a credo for the 'tilt'
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: a credo for the 'tilt' Reply with quote

Since recently I use a NEX5N and very much like that I mostly look down into the viewfinder, with the LCD tilted up.
The camera is well supported at stomach to chest level, less gear lifting, no strain on the neck! and that with easy access to varying POVs

I also like that the optional EVF tilts, it is relaxing for the neck, drops the camera in a steady position below the chin and also allows easy access to angles Idea
( oh, I don't have that Sony finder yet, only tried it out once! but have very fond memories from using a tilting EVF on a Konica Minolta A2 )

I say: if not an OVF, it better tilts!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: a credo for the 'tilt' Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

Agree entirely. My GRDIV has a Sony screen and despite being good the fact it does not tilt reduces its use as a focusing/framing aid considerably.

That, focus peaking and sunny mode all help make the screen a pleasure to use when manual focusing. I'm tempted by the add on EVF but I'll try and resist as long as possible. I've heard one or 2 people say focus peaking works better with the screen but I suspect that depends on the conditions..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: a credo for the 'tilt' Reply with quote

norman j shearer wrote:
kuuan wrote:

Agree entirely. My GRDIV has a Sony screen and despite being good the fact it does not tilt reduces its use as a focusing/framing aid considerably.

That, focus peaking and sunny mode all help make the screen a pleasure to use when manual focusing. I'm tempted by the add on EVF but I'll try and resist as long as possible. I've heard one or 2 people say focus peaking works better with the screen but I suspect that depends on the conditions..

Norman as a GRD user, were you tempted by the GXR? I was, but no tilting LCD..
I wonder how much I would miss it because a tilting EVF was all I needed on my A2

Didn't use the tiny LCD, it is tilting, just like the one on a NEX. My eyes were glued on the unique viewfinder. Big overlays in the viewfinder paired with the suburb layout of the camera made changing settings feel like playing piano while composing Wink
Reviewed photos in the viewfinder too. This meant never having to use reading glasses. That radically changed when I started using a dSLR
The A2 has been my raw model for an EVIL ever since and the electronic viewfinder is central!
I suspect that once I have the EVF for the 5N that in most situations I will prefer it, though the tilting LCD will continue to be very useful too

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony FDA-EV1S electronic viewfinder, mine since a few hours Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use it like this 90% of the time . It stabilises well the camera . Only I wish it could go tilting to 90 degrees.
Like this way of handling .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
I also use it like this 90% of the time . It stabilises well the camera . Only I wish it could go tilting to 90 degrees.

right, I cannot emphasize enough how much I find a tilting EVF preferable over a fixed one, just like a tilting LCD over a fixed one. It is so much more relaxed for the neck, as you say helps to stabilize and it gives so very easy access to many angles.
For me personally the NEX5N with the EVF finally is the EVIL Minolta A2 replacement many A2 users have been talking and speculating about since years. Handling and access to settings is a far cry but it's manual focusing aids make up for that. The NEX7 improves on handling / access of settings but does not cut it for it's EVF being fixed.

Teo there is someothing I must misunderstand, the EVF does tilt up to full 90 degrees

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
yinyangbt wrote:

Teo there is someothing I must misunderstand, the EVF does tilt up to full 90 degrees

I was talking about the screen , not the EVF , in fact I don't have one and it seems it doesn't work on NEX3 ,or I am wrong? By the way how much is the EVF?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
kuuan wrote:
yinyangbt wrote:

I was talking about the screen , not the EVF , in fact I don't have one and it seems it doesn't work on NEX3 ,or I am wrong? By the way how much is the EVF?

oh, ok. yes, this EVF works only on the NEX5N. Right now it costs about 290 Euro