Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 105mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Soligor 105mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Latest find, a Soligor 105mm 2.8 T mount lens.

Looking around the forums I think it may be a Komine manufactured version. Is there any way to tell for certain who the maker is?

Thanks in advance.

I plan to test it out next week.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of 1960s Japanese lenses with similar styling, those twin aperture rings are a very common sight so hard to say by looking at it who might have made it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, Aaah Laughing Sincere jealousy here, that thing looks fab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in reasonable shape. It does have cleaning marks on the front element. And spots on the rear... not mold though, not sure what it is, maybe somebody sneezed? I haven't tried to clean it yet. I think it'll be fine though... and a lot easier to use than the ISCO 100mm lens I have.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the look of that Miranda-
I have 2 flavors of this lens-both of which I have used and posted samples of -

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-105mm-f2-8-preset-in-exakta-ke-t-mount-t26289,highlight,%2Bsoligor+%2B105.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/tele-lentar-105mm-f2-8-in-m42-preset-t38538,highlight,%2Blentar.html

There are other members here who have experience with this too-they might chime in.

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
... and a lot easier to use than the ISCO 100mm lens I have.

What's so difficult with the ISCO?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
... and a lot easier to use than the ISCO 100mm lens I have.

What's so difficult with the ISCO?

No pre-set ring! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos what's the serial number of your lens?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

H42010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
walter g wrote:

H42010

We've had a real problem identifing the H code Soligors. Normally with Soligor a Letter code is a single maker.
But some H codes look like Tokinas,some Komine, or possible Kawanons.
Contrary to what I have on this list as H4 yous looks like a Komine to me.

Updated list

Soligor Codes

1 = Tokina
2 = Sun
3 = Sun
4 = Sun
5 = ???
6 = Komine
7 = Sun
8 = ???
9 = Kino
31 = ??? *
A = Komura #
H4 = Kawanon ? #
H5 = Komine #
H6 = Komine #
H7= Tokina #
H37 = Kawanon? #
M = ??? #
N = ??? #
R = Itoh #
T = Tamron #
Y = Komura #

Code system. First number = Maker.
Second number = Decade
Third number = Year

*Six digit lens date code unknown.

# Letter code lens date code unknown.

..... DISCLAMER THIS IS A WORKING LIST......
..... IT MAY CHANGE AS NEW EVIDENCE IS FOUND.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-12-8-f28mm-21and-versions-t30866,highlight,%2Bsoligor.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-big-soligor-thread-t33736,highlight,%2Bsoligor.html

Loads of info here.

Every Soligor I've had, with an H serial number, has been a Tokina so far, and I've had the same model as the OPs in this thread. It's a nice lens but vignettes heavily on full frame, as does the 135mm version Smile

The newer Tokina Soligors vignette less, but aren't quite so cool Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens under the Hanimar name... And the same H..... serial numbering system. It's the one on the left.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens Mos posted is what I consider typical Komine style for the period. It has an O/C ring. Also look at the center red line. which is a red line ending in a dot.

Now look at Spotmatics Hanimar. No O/C ring, and it has the typical Tokina style center line. Which is a red line anding in a triangle.

My guess and it's only a guess is the earliest style H code lenses I've seen appear to be Komine.It's possible that Komine couldn't meet Soligors
production volumes and they brought in Tokina to fill the void.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
The lens Mos posted is what I consider typical Komine style for the period. It has an O/C ring. Also look at the center red line. which is a red line ending in a dot.

Now look at Spotmatics Hanimar. No O/C ring, and it has the typical Tokina style center line. Which is a red line anding in a triangle.

My guess and it's only a guess is the earliest style H code lenses I've seen appear to be Komine.It's possible that Komine couldn't meet Soligors
production volumes and they brought in Tokina to fill the void.

Tokinas were made with and without the O/C ring as well, more info here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/tele-lentar-105mm-f2-8-in-m42-preset-t38538.html

Here are some real Komines, which have some distinctive features such as the triangle:

Just for fun, here's some Tokinas with a 47mm interchangable thread mount:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=37215

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to start a separate thread to sort out the H code lenses. I have yet to see a Tokina lens with an O/C ring. The one you linked to is a Soligor with the code H4 which I still believe was made by Komine.

I have a very early Soligor 28 2.8 H4 code lens, it looks very simmilar to this Lentar lens in the following link. The Lentar lenses I've seen so far look like they are Tokina made, except for this one.
Notice it dosent have the H code but instead is a K code lens. Still dosen't meen it is a Komine but it's kinda strange if it's Tokina made they used a different code.

Click here to see on Ebay

It sure would make more sense if all H codes were by the same maker.
Maybe if we start a thread on it and enough people participate we can prove it one way or the other. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres something on the Lentar-I don't know how you missed this Walter Very Happy

http://forum.mflenses.com/tele-lentar-105mm-f2-8-in-m42-preset-t38538,highlight,%2Blentar.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You, Smile

But I didn't miss it. They look like they might be made
by the same maker dosen't meen they are.
The real problem I have is I have never seen a lens with the Tokina name on it that had a O/C ring.

To get back to the original posters question. Tele-Tokina made a 105 2.8 lens and it dosen't have the O/C ring like yours does.

I just don't wan't to jump to conclusions of the maker for H code lenses without more proof. I own a H code Soligor that looks like nothing that Tokina ever made, or have thought to made.
I really should remove the H code section in my ID chart till more proof
can be found one way or the other.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever seen a Komine lens with the 0<->C marks though? H codes are complicated Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the O/C ring can be taken as indicative of anything, so many Japanese third party lenses have one, the 5.6/300 and 6/500 long lenses I have have them and I am sure they weren't made by Tokina or Komine. I also had a 3.5/35 that was awful that had an O/C ring.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to take a few shots with this lens.

It is as nice as one could expect it to be. Didn't have any problems with vignetting even wide open (although it got noticeably soft, either that or my hands got shakier).

I'm pretty happy with it, whatever it is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't think the O/C ring can be taken as indicative of anything, so many Japanese third party lenses have one, the 5.6/300 and 6/500 long lenses I have have them and I am sure they weren't made by Tokina or Komine. I also had a 3.5/35 that was awful that had an O/C ring.

Majority of longer lenses use the O/C ring, so you can't judge the maker by that, I know, but shorter lenses are a different story. They all appear to be by one maker.
Really my only hold out saying that's a Tokina lens is that O/C ring. I hope the tread I started on H code lenses will bring some answers.
Rest of the markings on the lens look like Tokina.
I thought I had posted this earlier, but here is a link to the Tele-Tokina 105 2.8.

http://www.retrocamera.net/review-of-tele-tokina-105mm28-preset-t2.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shot

A nice 3d-ish look in this one. I think the blur from this lens is rather pleasing.