Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beautiful Moon and Takumar 500mm f/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Beautiful Moon and Takumar 500mm f/4.5 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Great moon out tonight, and a pretty clear sky, so....

out comes the 500mm f/4.5 Takumar. She is worn, but not worn out. It used to belong to a wildlife photographer in Alaska. I bought it from him very reasonably several years ago along with a really nice old wooden tripod.

Anyway, I mounted the lens on the NEX-3, or should I say I mounted the NEX on the lens, put the whole thing on a sturdy Bogen 3046 and went to town.

The image is not bad for vintage glass. Sharpness isn't tops, and there was some blue CA, but I feel the image is definitely passable. A 100% crop is shown below.

Look at how even the massive Asahi lens cover for the 500 dwarfs the NEX!

I shoot some daylight photos with this lens in color soon.

Best, Paul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I find the partial moon shots much more pleasing.
I wouldn't like to carry that monster very far Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Very nice, I find the partial moon shots much more pleasing.
I wouldn't like to carry that monster very far Laughing

Thanks!

I wouldn't want to carry very far either. I shot this moon pic in my back yard.

When I got the thing, it came with this huge wooden tripod with metal head and handmade lens bracket made of 1/4" aluminum bar stock. The bracket alone must have weighed about 5 pounds, plus the tripod, not to mention, the wildlife photographer who used it in Alaska had it mounted on a 16mm Bolex!

What a great way to stay in shape.

P.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL must breed em tough in Alaska

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love it! Both the lens and the moon-photo.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say I like moon shots to be very sharp, I like the detail in it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good results -- pretty sharp for a 100% crop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I looked back through the exposures, and it is quite sharp. Better than my first impression. I did desaturate in PS along with some level adjustment and since I have all sharpening turned off in-camera, I used my standard "for print" unsharp mask sharpening recipe of 102% with radius set at 1.0 Pixel and a threshold of 3 levels. I had to work from the NEX-3 native Fine JPG since I don't as yet have a new enough version of Camera Raw to read the Sony raw format.

I would like to compare it to results obtainable with a newer lens, possibly the EF 400mm f/5.6 Canon L and the 400mm with a 1.4X attached.

Best,

paul