Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 10cm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 10cm f2 Reply with quote

I bought this lens in May and just got time to review in Mflenses.

I didn’t know that this lens exists until I visited mflenses gallery. A 100mm f/2 Biotar?? Any such lens, really?? Smile
I liked the rendering of the sample photos there, and immediately searched the info on the internet but it seems that there is no info at all about this lens, except in 1 old post on mflenses.com. What a mysterious lens indeed Smile

Searching at eBay. Found it, but the price is very inhuman. It seems that the seller are buying all rare lens and sell it at super high price.

Finally I found it on leicashop.com. The price is 1/3 of that eBay price and surprisingly the optic condition is very mint and way way better than those eBay lenses.

Here is the lens with it’s “little brother” and it’s grandson … Smile

Since I read that this lens could be a medium-format camera lens, I assume that the rear tube is an additional barrel. Don’t you think so?
By the way the lens’ mount has been modified to Leica R mount.
And I immediately back to eBay to check those eBay lenses and they looks modified too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let’s see the overall rendering, the color, contrast and especially the bokeh with variation distance between camera-object & object-backgrond (busy background).
Shot with Canon 5Dmk II, at midday, daylight WB, ISO 100, at wide open, no hood.
Sharpen and resized, no other PP.

I’ll show the unedited 100% crop section in a sharpness section after these photos.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning for your eyes .... as this lens will go through extreme busy bokeh test ... Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's compare it's bokeh with the grand son .... Very Happy

It loses in the smooth bokeh category, but I think it could win in artistic bokeh category .. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 10cm f2 Reply with quote

nixland wrote:

Searching at eBay. Found it, but the price is very inhuman. It seems that the seller are buying all rare lens and sell it at super high price.

I don't believe so, if we are speaking of the same few globally operating high-price sellers. I have heard about several cases where the said items proved to be unavailable when someone tried to buy them. This rather looks as if the sellers bolster their inventory (and credibility) by listing purely fictitious (or long sold) items. Hopefully under the assumption that they could usually procure the item in time at such a high price...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 10cm f2 Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:

.. I have heard about several cases where the said items proved to be unavailable when someone tried to buy them. This rather looks as if the sellers bolster their inventory (and credibility) by listing purely fictitious (or long sold) items. Hopefully under the assumption that they could usually procure the item in time at such a high price...

Oh, I see. Yes, it makes sense. Smile

By the way, based on serial number in this website , my Biotar 10cm was made in 1940.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vignette / light fall-off test at wide open

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politics aside, the early images look quite pleasing. As the bokeh get busy, it looks less appealing. How sharp is it in the centre?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Politics aside, the early images look quite pleasing. As the bokeh get busy, it looks less appealing. How sharp is it in the centre?

At wide open it's not so sharp though we can still see the texture.
Below is the sharpness series of this lens at wide open, from close distance to further distance.

This is at about 200 m distance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is uncoated I presume?

If so I would try some test shots with a hood fitted.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
It is uncoated I presume?

If so I would try some test shots with a hood fitted.

I don't know for sure, but I think so Smile

O yes, by the way the filter ring size is 57mm.
Well, at first I tried to mount a 55 and 58 step-up ring (to attach the 3rd party metal hood) but they don't fit. I measured the diameter but I couldn't really certain if it's 56 or 57.
I gambled to buy a 57-55 step down ring. It's very rare! But finally got it and it is 57mm.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the first set! gorgeous rendering!

Is it a permanent surgery or can it be undone?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Many thanks for this nice review!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice especially when compared to the grandson!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Congrats! Many thanks for this nice review!

Thanks Attila and All for the comments.

Hari wrote:

Is it a permanent surgery or can it be undone?

I don't know for sure.
By the way it was already modified to Leica-R when I bought it.
I think they glue the silver tube to the rear mount of the original lens, assuming that this lens is indeed a medium format lens.

Kram wrote:
Very nice especially when compared to the grandson!

Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way I shot all photos in JPEG format only, no RAW at all.

Flower shot.
The auto WB gave warmer tone so I adjust the WB.

Skin tone test.
I think the warmer tone is caused by the camera auto WB.

WB adjusted.

Portrait and bokeh.
It has low contrast in bright light condition.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way below is the sharpness comparison shot between f2 and f5.6

CA test on water fountain.

And this is the horrible one ... flare test.
Facing very bright sunlight in the morning where the sun just outside the frame, it flares very horribly.

Fortunately the flare is gone if I block the light using my hand palm.

I wonder wheter it's the single coating or the reflection of the extension tube that cause the heavy flare.

This is the same position shot with Planar 100/2 C/Y with no hood. The Planar beat the flare Smile
I think the grandfather Biotar 10cm is very proud with it's grand son performace .. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump, what a gravedig.

Dont be shy guys, who of you bought Biotar 10cm auctioned in December 14? Very Happy