Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unusual nikkor and unusual Rodagon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Unusual nikkor and unusual Rodagon Reply with quote

The first somewhat unusual lens I have is actually the Nikkor 300/4.5 AIS ED which I incorrectly identified as an AI version. It is at least as sharp as my newer AIS version and the old AF version I also have. It is long, narrow and light by comparison:

The second is a zoom enlarging lens. It is a variable focal length Rodagon, which zooms from 44 to 52mm. At f4 it is quite fast for an enlarging lens. As for quality, it is as good as the Rodagon imprimatur suggests.

Just thought they might amuse someone Smile

Thanks to Rolf and Klaus for picking up on my error which is corrected in this latest version.

patrickh

Last edited by patrickh on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it does, especially that "very special" white balance, underwater style Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Patrick.

Due to the serial # of your 300mm lens it must be a AI-S lens. Has it 7 or 9 blades ?

Serial # range for AI-S version from 210207 - 238835 - and was built between Dec 81 - 1999.
Mine has the serial # 2245xx and is definitively AIS.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Robert Vink: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf/Klaus

You may well be right. I checked Fink when I first acquired the lens, several years ago and reached the same conclusion. But, after I laid hands on the much later AIS version, I could see the large differences in construction. It has 9 blades, but it also has the long narrow barrel and does not seem to have IF, although I am probably wrong on this. Action is very smooth, but it does not have a very long throw, making focus a bit of a pain. I have now rechecked on the MIR website, which is much more informative than Fink, but both are complementary and it would definitely appear that you are correct in your assertions that this must in fact be an AIS version. My apologies for sloppy research.
Sad Sad

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

it is not question of stoppy research. It could be as well that Finkś datas are wrong who knows ? And the next one write it down and so on and then you will have overall the wrong information. Has the lens AI or AIS mount ? Maybe some reworked it with spare parts. Or you have definitely an until now unknown version Shocked

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be tha rare ED, non-IF version?

See Bjorn Rorslett´s Page:
http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html : Nikkor 300/4.5 ED (AI)

Does Your lens have a red IR spot?

Is the smallest f-stop number painted orange? Does the lens mount have a little milled slot?

See http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-153.html for the AI and AIS differences.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will undertake more research into the 300/4.5, but I think it is the very early AIS version.

@Klaus

Taken this morning at 44/4

and at 52/4

Mounted on a Nikon D200 via short throw helicoid M42/Nikon, provided by a member. Thanks for the two. Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gurdie

Smallest f stop is orange (32). No IR spot. Yes small milled slot. Close focus 2.5m

I have the newer definitely AIS version, which is obviously a complete redesign - smallest f stop white (22), has IR spot, much wider barrel, much heavier, close focus 4m.

BTW both are very sharp (as is the f4 AF version I also have).

Thanks for the interest and assistance everyone

patrickh