Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

58mm f/2 Takumar (Sonnar type) M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: 58mm f/2 Takumar (Sonnar type) M42 Reply with quote

Shot with the lens on a Canon 5D.

Last edited by Spotmatic on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:48 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Wow ! This lens certainly is a big addition to the "best of lenses gallery".

Very rare lens, I tried to get a nice copy myself some time ago without success.

For my feeling it has incredible bokeh ... I have seen some close-focus samples on the web recently which were Shocked

... haven't you shown some other samples of this lens some time ago here ? ... can't find the thread ... maybe I was wrong ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one is perfect!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great photos Peter, like always.
The 2/58 Takumar certainly is a very special lens

tobbsman wrote:

... haven't you shown some other samples of this lens some time ago here ? ... can't find the thread ... maybe I was wrong ...

Cheers
Tobias

Tobias I had shown some photos taken with this lens at the MF Gallery:
http://forum.mflenses.com/takumar-f2-58mm-first-outing-in-japan-t32855,highlight,+58mm++takumar.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lens ! Beautiful shots as always Peter. Your son is really photogenic.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys! It's indeed great to have such a photogenic son, but unfortunately those 'portrait moments' are getting rare. I guess my kids are getting fed up with their father photographing them all day long Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make the most of photographing your kids. My youngest is soon to turn 17 and all I hear now (when I say that I would like to take a photo) is a groan. I have had to resort to "I am just testing a new camera or lens, I don't really want a photo of you" to make it work!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, time to get more sons? Wink

The 'Sonnar Tak' did not go with me on my extended travels, didn't dare to, it's my most rare and expensive lens.
Therefore I hardly have more photos taken with it than shown in the thread I linked above, but this one:

This lens renders so very differently than any other lens I have. I don't want to miss it any longer, next year it will go with me on the road Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sad that I sold the ones I had, but I have one coming my way finally again... Very Happy Very Happy

That Sonnar bokeh is so creamy and the sharpness so delicate, just enough but not too much...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to get an idea of how many of these 58mm were produced by Takumar back in 1957 and makes me wonder how many might still exist today?
I do not find production numbers on the web, and I understand it was a very short lived lens.

I do like so much this short sonnar for slr!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estimated production numbers by Gerjan van Oosten :
http://kajiwara.weebly.com/index-et-prix-des-takumar.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost 20000 exemplars... that's a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Almost 20000 exemplars... that's a lot!

I have my doubts about those numbers, but it's possible. Either way, there are probably only a few 100 left...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

I have my doubts about those numbers, but it's possible. Either way, there are probably only a few 100 left...

Yes, either that or people are keeping them.
I never saw one on Ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Yes, either that or people are keeping them.
I never saw one on Ebay.

This lens is VERY hard to find indeed. Because... what to use for search keywords? Takumar +58mm also returns all Takumar lenses with a 58mm filter thread. Also, this lens could only be found on the camera which has only the name "Asahi Pentax", no other designations. So it's hard to find, hard to search, and expensive Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it's ok I mention..
again I have more than one, if anyone is interested in buying one, best inclusive it's camera, the 'Original Pentax', please contact me via P.M.
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in case one wants only the lenses: I'd love to have that Asahi Pentax Original (if working) Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, if the production number is that high, and the lens was discontinued because of high costs,
did Takumar find buyers for all that glass? I did read the “for sale” price was quite exorbitant!

Is an unsold lens recyclable?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Wow, if the production number is that high, and the lens was discontinued because of high costs,
did Takumar find buyers for all that glass? I did read the “for sale” price was quite exorbitant!

Is an unsold lens recyclable?

Just FYI: Takumar is not the name of the maker, which was Asahi Optical Co., Tokyo, Japan. Takumar is the name of the series of lenses. Asahi Pentax is the name of the series of cameras.

As said: I honestly doubt that 20,000 58mm f/2 Takumars have been made. Or maybe it's a quite normal number, but most of them never left Asia? Either way: the lens is extremely uncommon in such a way that I have never seen it for sale in my country. And I have seen most local adverts/auctions in the last 10 years...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked the two original manuals from the corresponding era I have. The Asahi Pentax manual (1957) does show the 58mm f/2 Takumar as available, and the shown example has a 100021 serial number.
PDF of my manual: http://www.camerac.nl/scans/asahi/pentaxapman.pdf

I also have the original Tower 26 manual, this was a name variation of the Asahi Pentax as sold by Sears, Roebuck and Co. For that camera, only the Heliar-type 58mm f/2.4 was available.
PDF of my manual: http://www.camerac.nl/scans/asahi/tower26man.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The figures given by Oosten are only estimations, made by taking in account the number of a given lens that he has in his DB, related the to total number of lenses in the DB (a bit more tricky, but that's the idea). Oosten said me that this way of doing tend to over estimate the number of rare lenses and under estimate the number of common lenses Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus' photos inspired me... I used the lens on the Pentax K-5.

Last edited by Spotmatic on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those came out very nicely Peter!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Absolutely gorgeous! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos, Peter.
Could you please add, here in the "best of lenses" gallery, which camera you did use for what photos?
You own cameras of different brands, and it's important for the visitors of this gallery to know what camera was used for every photo.
Thanks!! Smile