Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 135mm f2 in the garden
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Soligor 135mm f2 in the garden Reply with quote

I've been after a Soligor 135mm f2 off and on for a while, and a few days ago one came up on ebay in the UK in M42 mount. I put in what I thought was a low offer and it was accepted, and it arrived today. It looks to be a nice copy, and came with the lens case, and original front lens cap. Beautifully smooth focusing.

A few test shots from the garden today, all taken wide open and ISO125 on my 5DSR, then resized for sharing here. I really need more practise with manual focusing. Looking forward to more use when the weather improves.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Jonathan!

Do I see sharpness issues or is this a focus miss?? I assume all were shot at f2 - not easy to nail focus then...

If you find time, please show the lens, too

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely a focus miss by me Klaus as I'm still not massively comfortable with manual lens focusing. In the second image, of the heather, it looks pretty sharp to me. Yes, these were all done wide open at f2.

Yes, will get a picture of the lens sorted and put it on here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using a 50mm lens and practise, you may find it easier.I have been MF for 65 years and occasionally miss but do NOT post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the shots! By looking at the purple flower shot you can see that you probably did hit focus based on the blurring behind and in front of the flowers on the wooden board, might just be the fact that it is a really fast third party lens and is not the best corrected wide open...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In bright sunlight there will probably be a veiling glow @F2. Obfuscating any sliver of sharpness. A long hood might help. Focussing a wide aperture manual lens is best done in live view on high magnification.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, yes, these were shot wide open, and without a lens hood. The lens has a lot of glass at the front, and would definitely benefit from a hood. I do acknowledge though that I need a lot more practise. I'll be ordering a hood today.

A couple of shots of the lens.

Also one more from the garden of a Great Tit leaving the bird feeder, taken at f4 and 1/3200s at ISO1250. Cropped and sharpened slightly.