Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Rokkor MC 100mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Minolta Rokkor MC 100mm f/2 Reply with quote

I've been hunting & waiting for this lens shows up on eBay for months with no result. A very very rare old lens.

Once I spot in on eBay but it's not an MC version. Though I've read that the MC means meter-coupling not multicoated and the number of lens elements hasn't changed since the non MC version but I still want the MC version, hoping that the latest MC version maybe have some optic or coating enhancement Smile
Another one showed up but the price is quite high.
But finally my patience paid off, I found this most wanted lens! Smile

And I am very happy and satisfied with this lens. Very good rendering, sharp enough (Contax Planar 100/2 is a bit sharper but not by much), very good color and specially in some comparison shots it's bokeh is creamier then the Planar 100/2, Nikkor 105/1.8 and Canon EF 100/2.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All photos are shot using 5D mk II with standard picture style and default setting. No PP except sharpened first before downsized.

CA/PF test.
In extreme condition it shows up. But other lens including Planar have same CA too. On any other shots I see no PF.

Flare test, including sharpness observation.

Bokeh test

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portrait test

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharpness at longer distance focus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful lens it looks to my eyes. I could definitely live with that amount of CA and I love the warm colours of the indoor shots. I need to add a 90/100/105 lens to my collection as that the one FL (apart from ultra wides) I'm missing, if I see one of these anytime, I might have to grab it, thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Wonderful lens it looks to my eyes. I could definitely live with that amount of CA and I love the warm colours of the indoor shots. I need to add a 90/100/105 lens to my collection as that the one FL (apart from ultra wides) I'm missing, if I see one of these anytime, I might have to grab it, thanks for the info.

You need to have a tons of patience, Ian Smile
I almost gave up finding and waiting for this rare lens .... Smile

By the way according to this page, this lens was released on 14 May, 1966

http://thesybersite.com/minolta/historical/Minolta_Lens_Chronology.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the mistake of buying cheap lenses in other FLs so then had to go buy good ones so in the case of this FL, I have patience to find a good one.

Seeing how nice this lens is, I think I might try the slower version.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens looks good.

Ian, I have the 100/3.5 & will take a few shots with it & post in a new thread for you to see.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. The CA is not too bad and you can do something against it in PP.

I believe you that you like it a lot. I own one Rokkor (2/28 ) and it's one the best lenses I own.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I made the mistake of buying cheap lenses in other FLs so then had to go buy good ones so in the case of this FL, I have patience to find a good one.

Seeing how nice this lens is, I think I might try the slower version.

From some images taken with Rokkor 100/2.5 & 100/3.5 that I saw, they are great too.

revers wrote:
That lens looks good.

Ian, I have the 100/3.5 & will take a few shots with it & post in a new thread for you to see.

Please do. And also the 100/2.5 which optics design and coating has been enhanced too as I remember.

LucisPictor wrote:
Looks great. The CA is not too bad and you can do something against it in PP.

I believe you that you like it a lot. I own one Rokkor (2/28 ) and it's one the best lenses I own.

Yes. the CA doesn't bother me at all.
And yes, I like it very much. At first I had doubt about the IQ that this was a quite old lens before Minolta enhanced it to 100/2.5 (if I am not mistaken). But wow, this lens still rocks! Smile

Rokkor 28/2 ... I'll looking for it.
I am also curious about Rokkor 35/1.8.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see some samples Ron, many thanks.

One thing that puts me off Rokkors is i don't like my NEX and might be selling it, can't use the Rokkors on my EOS without surgery.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the pics & loaded them to photobucket & now it is not working for me. Maybe tomorrow. sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to me.
How much the lens?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Looks very good to me.
How much the lens?

It's about $430.
Considering that this lens is a very rare lens and one of the Minolta sought-after lens, and comparing to the current price of Rokkor 58/1.2 on eBay ($445-$700), I think I was lucky enough Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh brutal test ... busy background! Very Happy
And I think this lens is good enough to pass the test ... Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color test.

The red looks more saturated. Btw, I use daylight WB, but the condition is little bit couldy.

The blue is bit more desaturated from actual color.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those colours look vibrant and well saturated to me, I love the smooth oof rendition.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a rather recent fan of Rokkor lenses and #4 is why! Excellent work.

Love these last two as well, popping colors!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Those colours look vibrant and well saturated to me, I love the smooth oof rendition.

The bokeh is very very smooth indeed. I think it's like a trademark for Minolta Rokkor that I had. Rokkor 58/1.2, 85/1.8 all have a very smooth bokeh.

Katastrofo wrote:
I'm a rather recent fan of Rokkor lenses and #4 is why! Excellent work.

Love these last two as well, popping colors!

I am starting to be a Rokkor fans too. I bought 3 Rokkor lenses, and all three have successfully captured my heart at the first shots Smile

Below are another CA test shots photos on a water fountain. Looks no CA at all.