Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 500mm f/8 coverage size
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Samyang 500mm f/8 coverage size Reply with quote

Have heard and seen shots that indicate this preset lens is quite reasonably sharp when everything lines up well. And damn good for the price.

What I want to know about is the coverage size? If anyone has got one if they could test it with some wax/baking paper to see the image circle infinity projects?

I'm currently looking for some kind of big tele that I can saw the back of the tube off and stick on a M645. Although More likely to use at closer focusing distance than infinite, so some extension will give more coverage...

Also thought about the FD's for this.. 450mm.. 800mm FD f/5.6L etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens. It's decent -- focuses WAY past infinity to account for thermal distortion and different mounts (mine is from the 1990s but is an M42 mount with a super-thick K adapter.)

Can you explain the tests you need? My K-7 has a crop sensor; will that affect test performance? It's a good lens with good sharpness, but it can be difficult to focus with great certainty. Also, the fixed aperture makes its use on large-DoF subjects difficult sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you thinking of buying this lens?

There are other mirror lenses that may be cheap and effective? Many old but heavy. Often for $60 or less.

They should all have the same charcteristics?

Some were designed to cover 6cm x6cm? Mainly Russian, Ukr or German?

I have my FD 500mm on my ep-1 at the mo! But, the min CF range is 7 or 8 metres. Trying to sit in a darkened room focussing on a lit object outside was not terribly easy, but I think the extension range might need to be large, else the answer is a rather dubious no. When it is daylight I may get the energy to repeat it with greater contrast I should be able to be more confident of my answer.